For a child of 12, will a passport be an acceptable document for identification?

grandmaR

For a child of 12 (under 16), will a passport be an acceptable document for identification? The ticket doesn't mention it as a possibility. Will she also need a copy of her BC?

passport always trumps birth certificate.

That's what I would have thought. But while the inside cover mentions passports, and the US Citizen required documentation has a passport of the top of the list, and passports are mentioned in several other places, the

Guests under the age of 16 may present one of the following

- Original or copy of their state issued birth certificate

is at the top of the list and a passport is not mentioned as one of the possibilities.

That's what I would have thought. But while the inside cover mentions passports, and the US Citizen required documentation has a passport of the top of the list, and passports are mentioned in several other places, the

is at the top of the list and a passport is not mentioned as one of the possibilities.

Probably because most kids under 16 don't have one.

Probably because most kids under 16 don't have one.

Not a good reason. Doesn't have to be at the top of the list, but should be on there.

Most cruise lines and all airlines require a passport if they are going to be going outside the US. I think I would have been able to get away with her brother not having a passport because we only went to Hawaii, but he had one anyway.

Suppose we got back late and missed the ship and we were in Grand Cayman or someplace like that. The kid couldn't even fly back to the US without a passport.

Not a good reason. Doesn't have to be at the top of the list, but should be on there.

Most cruise lines and all airlines require a passport if they are going to be going outside the US. I think I would have been able to get away with her brother not having a passport because we only went to Hawaii, but he had one anyway.

Suppose we got back late and missed the ship and we were in Grand Cayman or someplace like that. The kid couldn't even fly back to the US without a passport.

Hunh? I am not sure what you are looking at, so I really can't help you there, but no one needs a passport on a closed looped cruise. And no, cruise lines do NOT require you to have one on a closed looped cruise. As long as you leave and come back to the same port in the US, you do NOT need a passport. Should you have one? Well yes because if anything happens you cannnot fly back to the US. That is why Carnival had to do all sorts of things with the ships they have had break down. Many of those passengers sailed with Birth certificates.

Disney does not require passports for closed looped US cruises. If you leave out of Vancouver or take a med cruise, or a repositioning cruise, then you do need one. If you can give a link to what you are talking about, we could probably help you more.

I don't know what you mean by ticket as if you have done online checkin the printed copy is what you present. There has never been a "ticket' in my cruise booklet. On page 5 it will tell you what is acceptable.

Aha...I see what you mean. This is just what else can be used for a guest under 16. But a passport will work as the above states. "All US Citizenship, including children .........."

I don't know what you mean by ticket as if you have done online checkin the printed copy is what you present. There has never been a "ticket' in my cruise booklet. On page 5 it will tell you what is acceptable.

Aha...I see what you mean. This is just what else can be used for a guest under 16. But a passport will work as the above states. "All US Citizenship, including children .........."

Yes I did the on-line check-in but I just got what were referred to as tickets by my TA (had the luggage tags in them too).

Her mother asked me if she needed a BC at the same time I got the tickets in the mail and I would have thought a passport would be enough. But when I looked, since Disney did not say passport and DID say birth certificate, I found it confusing and off putting.

We are doing back to back on Disney. I don't think we really need the luggage tags for the second cruise do we? We have the same stateroom. They won't make us pack and get off, put new luggage tags on our luggage, hand them our luggage, check in and get back on I hope.

I guess i don't consider that the ticket. These days they really don't do tickets per se. do fill out something that has the parents signature that you are allowed to take the children though. I think they have a form online.

do fill out something that has the parents signature that you are allowed to take the children though. I think they have a form online.

I looked but did not see one. NCL had one, but if Disney has such a form it isn't obvious.

I have had the parents fill out a 'permission slip' for me for all my grandchildren just as I did when my mom took one of my children. My mom took each of my four children and had to show hers from us when she took my daughter through Checkpoint Charlie into East Berlin. Amelia is the fifth grandchild to go on a trip with me and I only had to show the permission once and that was in Heathrow between planes.

I looked but did not see one. NCL had one, but if Disney has such a form it isn't obvious.

I have had the parents fill out a 'permission slip' for me for all my grandchildren just as I did when my mom took one of my children. My mom took each of my four children and had to show hers from us when she took my daughter through Checkpoint Charlie into East Berlin. Amelia is the fifth grandchild to go on a trip with me and I only had to show the permission once and that was in Heathrow between planes.

I have to say I haven't found it either, but they told me it's there somewhere. :rolleyes: But it sounds like you got it all down. I have taken my daughter on many trips without my husband and no one has ever asked and really I should take something along just in case. Thats why I asked while on the phone with them recently, but I have to say I didn't look real hard either. But I really need it to jump out in my face. :D

Archived