cave tubing or snorkle?

mlrt

We are a family of 4 with a 10 year old and an almost 8 year old. We are torn between the cave tubing or shark ray alley snorkle. We have read so many good and bad reports on both. While the tubing sounds fun, the hour drive, the half hour walk with a lazy almost 8 year old trying to carry a tube (which I'm sure my husband will end up having to carry) does not. The sting ray and shark swim sound neat but my sister seems to think the only place that is any good to swim with the rays is at Grand Cayman. She did it somewhere else and couldn't really even see them. I'm also a little worried because my youngest is not that good of a swimmer. I have read about currents and not being able to enjoy because the swim was too hard. We also have never snorkled and some say this is not for first timers. I can't fiqure out for the life of me which one would be better for us. I'm worried whichever one I pick, I will wish I had picked the other one. My boys keep going back and forth on which one they would like to do. Today it is shark ray alley. Yesterday it was tubing. Help! Time is running out.:eek:

Hola mlrt,

I wanted to snorkel when we were in Belize, but after some consideration we decided on the cave tubing. I can snorkel at most of the ports, but cave tubing is a regional thing. There are not that many places where you can do it. The water in the caves is pretty shallow and in most places, you have only to roll off of your tube and stand up. One lady ran aground and couldn't get out of her tube. When we got to her she was in knee deep water. Our guides (with Wet & Wild) were very knowledgable and paid very close attention to the children. As for the lazy kid, maybe you should make him carry his dads tube.:D

Archived