New regulations for lighters & matches in airports

Can anyone that has flown lately tell me what the new rules are about lighters & matches at airports? My DH is a smoker :( and I know he will have to smoke b4 our flight & after landing in orlando. Any help on this issue?

Directly from the TSA website: http://www.tsa.gov/interweb/assetlibrary/Permitted_Prohibited_5_16_2005_v3.pdf

"All lighters are prohibited as carry-on items. Lighters without fuel are permitted in checked baggage, but lighters with fuel are prohibited. If you are uncertain as to whether your lighter is prohibited, please refrain from bringing it to the airport.

Up to 4 books of safety (non-strike anywhere) matches are permitted as carry-on items, but all matches are prohibited in checked baggage."

Hubby is also a smoker and this was a concern for our cruise. Airport in Vancouver and Toronto were no problem. We put the lighter in the checked bag and hubby carried a couple of books of matches in his pockets. He emptied them onto the tray for the x-ray machine and then put them back in his pocket. No questions asked.

Archived