Premium beverage package and tax...

If I buy the premium alcohol pkg online before our september cruise will I be charged tax on it? I understand tax is charged if I purchase it before we leave port but if I wait till we reach international waters tax is waived. Sorry if this is a DUH question. TIA

If I buy the premium alcohol pkg online before our september cruise will I be charged tax on it? I understand tax is charged if I purchase it before we leave port but if I wait till we reach international waters tax is waived. Sorry if this is a DUH question. TIA

No tax is charged on the beverage package either online or on the ship. Only individual drink sales have tax charged in ports.

No tax is charged on the beverage package either online or on the ship. Only individual drink sales have tax charged in ports.

Hi Bob, I think ships leaving Spain may be the exception to this rule. I'm almost certain the drinks packages purchased on board during our recent trip on Liberty from Barcelona attracted Spanish tax.

If they didn't they were the only on board purchase that didn't :confused:

Hi Bob, I think ships leaving Spain may be the exception to this rule. I'm almost certain the drinks packages purchased on board during our recent trip on Liberty from Barcelona attracted Spanish tax.

If they didn't they were the only on board purchase that didn't :confused:

You're probably right, and thank-you for catching that. I always forget about that VAT tax in Spain.:o

The cost of an individual premium drinks package on Liberty last week was as follows:

Package cost $334.81

Spanish Tax 33.48

Gratuity 50.22

Total $418.51

That was purchased onboard. I'm not sure what would apply if it was purchased online.

The cost of an individual premium drinks package on Liberty last week was as follows:

Package cost $334.81

Spanish Tax 33.48

Gratuity 50.22

Total $418.51

That was purchased onboard. I'm not sure what would apply if it was purchased online.

Interesting how they broke out the gratuity from the package cost. Still comes out to $55 per day, just wonder why they bother to break it out. Maybe the Spanish tax is not charged on gratuity, so breaking out the gratuity makes the Spanish tax less?

Interesting how they broke out the gratuity from the package cost. Still comes out to $55 per day, just wonder why they bother to break it out. Maybe the Spanish tax is not charged on gratuity, so breaking out the gratuity makes the Spanish tax less?

Hi Bob.

They didn't actually break it down for me. I worked it out based on a receipt I saw from someone who did not have the package.

The Spanish tax is only charged on the drink price before the gratuity.

Hi Bob.

They didn't actually break it down for me. I worked it out based on a receipt I saw from someone who did not have the package.

The Spanish tax is only charged on the drink price before the gratuity.

Thanks, I appreciate the explanation. Here in the US, the drink package is supposed to include the gratuity, so it was surprising to see it broken out.

Thanks, I appreciate the explanation. Here in the US, the drink package is supposed to include the gratuity, so it was surprising to see it broken out.

Yes the figure of $418.51 is what appeared on my account. I just worked it back based on the other receipt I saw.

I purchased the premium package online before the cruise from Spain to avoid the tax. I paid 385.- per person/week. It was well worth it as we also drink a lot of diet coke during the day. The house wine by the way was really good, I could hardly believe it! The sparkling wine was a french Blanc-de-Blanc, the Chardonnay (St. Martin) was also good and the Cabernet (St. Martin) was absolutely ok. No problems with that. :p

Jason12

I would ring rcl and query that gratuity charge for the classic package you have booked for Venice.

They were adding gratuites by error a few months ago on their website but rectified it after a few complaints.

The price is with gratuites included and you should have paid the same as you did for your classic package on your first cruise

Cheers Mick

Archived