Our Amazing European Adventure! Navigator of the Seas & Norwegian Epic Review w/pics

Awww thanks! :)

I'm kind of dreading ending this too....it's been so much fun sharing our adventures with everyone here! You really can only tell your "real life" friends so much about your travels before their eyes glaze over.... But fellow travel obsessed people here - we seem to just thrive on other peoples experiences don't we! Not only do we learn so much about planning our future trips, but I think we genuinely enjoy living vicariously through one another! I know I do! I love reading other travelers trip reports and seeing photos of where they've been!

I'm glad you're getting some good info for when you go to Rome next year! If there was any way I could fit it into my budget, I'd love to head back there again next year too! Another visit to Rome would certainly be on my list!

This is such a great observation about 'real life" friends! They either aren't into travelling - cruising in particular - or are just not interested in hearing you go on and on about what a great adventure you had. Thankfully there are those on this site who are very very interested. Thanks again for the wonderful pictures. I am so glad you had a blast and I am getting the sense I was there with y'all as I read on and see the memorable photos.

You have given me the idea of arriving to Venice and spending a few days there prior to our cruise on Epic next June. We can then take the train to Rome and spend 2 days there? The cruise ports include a few other cities in Italy so This will probably end up being "the Italy trip" I have been wanting to take for a long time.

xxx Jasmine :)

This is such a great observation about 'real life" friends! They either aren't into travelling - cruising in particular - or are just not interested in hearing you go on and on about what a great adventure you had. Thankfully there are those on this site who are very very interested. Thanks again for the wonderful pictures. I am so glad you had a blast and I am getting the sense I was there with y'all as I read on and see the memorable photos.

You have given me the idea of arriving to Venice and spending a few days there prior to our cruise on Epic next June. We can then take the train to Rome and spend 2 days there? The cruise ports include a few other cities in Italy so This will probably end up being "the Italy trip" I have been wanting to take for a long time.

Jasmine,

Which date are you going on the Epic next June? We are going June 4th before it gets too hot and really crowded. We already have a roll call started so if by chance this is your sailing, stop by and say hi.

Sheila

ShelDil

Any thoughts about the weather overall while you were in Italy?.

One of the reasons we are going on June 4th next year was to try to beat the heat...so to speak, and also to get a head start before the crowds. I am a bit concerned after seeing your photos that the crowds may be inevitable.....but still the trip of a lifetime. As others have said here.... thanks for sharing... this was a great 'start' to our planning for next year.

Edited by Buck1949

ShelDil

Any thoughts about the weather overall while you were in Italy?.

One of the reasons we are going on June 4th next year was to try to beat the heat...so to speak, and also to get a head start before the crowds. I am a bit concerned after seeing your photos that the crowds may be inevitable.....but still the trip of a lifetime. As others have said here.... thanks for sharing... this was a great 'start' to our planning for next year.

Our weather was absolutely perfect! With the exception of the day we were in Florence, we really didn't have any days that were too hot. And even though that day was over 100 degrees F, :eek: honestly it didn't feel that bad! There wasn't a lot of humidity I suppose! Yes, it was hot on that day, but it didn't stop us from anything we wanted to do. I don't think any other day was overwhelmingly hot. We had no rain, other than the quick storm the day we went to the Colosseum.

As far as the crowds, the only time we really felt overwhelmed was at the Vatican. By the time we were there it was the end of June too. I think doing private tours helped to keep us separated from the masses of people otherwise. I never felt like anywhere else was too crowded. We had skip the line passes for all of the main sites - so we never had to wait in line.

I wouldn't hesitate to go back in June again.

I think it's a great idea to fly into Venice and spend a few days there before heading to Rome! The train is so easy and convenient! Two or even three days in Rome would be perfect too. There is just so much to see there! I can't imagine trying to fit it in on just a port day! Enjoy the planning!

Alright, we had decided to get to Rome a couple of days early, so we could see more of the city. Now, you've got me thinking to take the train to Venice after the cruise and spend a couple of night there. This is a once in a lifetime trip, so might as well make the best of it, right? Besides, I've done a little research and two one way tickets to different cities isn't really more than a round trip to Rome. Yep, you've got me thinking...............

I think it's a great idea to fly into Venice and spend a few days there before heading to Rome! The train is so easy and convenient! Two or even three days in Rome would be perfect too. There is just so much to see there! I can't imagine trying to fit it in on just a port day! Enjoy the planning!

This is exactly what we (msar1076 family and my wife an I) have planned. Going into Venice on the 31st of May (actually have already booked the same hotel you stayed in) - then on the morning of the 4th of June taking the train all the way to Civitavecchia then boarding ship. After the cruise we are staying for 2 1/2 days? or so....taking a guided tour with All Around Italy tours and then flying back home. Still looking at hotels :confused: (and good locations) in Rome.

Planning is 1/2 the fun!!

Alright, we had decided to get to Rome a couple of days early, so we could see more of the city. Now, you've got me thinking to take the train to Venice after the cruise and spend a couple of night there. This is a once in a lifetime trip, so might as well make the best of it, right? Besides, I've done a little research and two one way tickets to different cities isn't really more than a round trip to Rome. Yep, you've got me thinking...............

See, this is what happens! It is a once in a lifetime trip and you don't know if you'll get back, so you want to do it all right? That's how our "cruise" snowballed into three weeks and 2 cruises!! But half the battle is getting over there - so once you're there - make the most of it!

The other thing you can look into, if you haven't already booked your cruise, is a cruise that starts in Venice and ends in Rome!

I know you may have already answered this a while back and I'm sorry to repeat if you did. Did you say you had a private pick up to take you to your apartment after you got off the Epic vs taking the train? I am concerned about taking the train with luggage in tow. I think I may want to hire someone to take us straight to our hotel. I think it will be worth it. We may be a party of six (Bill if you're interested) but definitely a party of four. Who did you book with being a party of six and was it expensive?

Also, what type of plugs did you use, did you buy adapters here in the states or did the Epic have American plugs so to speak or do I need to purchase some before we go over to Europe? I've read they can be two prongs or three prongs. What did you see more of? We would need to charge iphone, ipad, kindle and camera battery.

Thanks, your review has been fantastic.

I know you may have already answered this a while back and I'm sorry to repeat if you did. Did you say you had a private pick up to take you to your apartment after you got off the Epic vs taking the train? I am concerned about taking the train with luggage in tow. I think I may want to hire someone to take us straight to our hotel. I think it will be worth it. We may be a party of six (Bill if you're interested) but definitely a party of four. Who did you book with being a party of six and was it expensive?

Also, what type of plugs did you use, did you buy adapters here in the states or did the Epic have American plugs so to speak or do I need to purchase some before we go over to Europe? I've read they can be two prongs or three prongs. What did you see more of? We would need to charge iphone, ipad, kindle and camera battery.

Thanks, your review has been fantastic.

We used Walks of Italy for all of our transfers (except to and from the airport - we used Rome Cabs for those). Since we did our tours in Rome with them, we ended up having enough tours booked to also get a discount. If you do 6 tours (including transfers) you get a discount, I think it was 10%. I think the transfer from the ship to the apartment may have been about 160 Euro before the discount. For us, with luggage it was well worth it.

The ships all use american plugs so you don't need anything special there.

But if you're staying in hotels in Europe you will need the adapters. I got ours at Target and got the multi-outlet type. This way we could plug more than one item in each one. It even had a USB outlet! We had two adapters for the four of us, and my parents had their own since they were in separate hotel rooms from us.

Most of your items you won't need a converter, just the adapter. I think the only thing we needed a converter for was the kids DS charger!

I'll have to look at the adapter and see if it was the 2 or 3 prong - the one we had was one that came with a pack of multiple "plugs" - so we could use it wherever. But there was a couple of places where we did have to switch from one Italy plug to the other one. I think there's a northern Italy and Southern? But really it might be older outlets and newer!

Thanks!! Honestly, anything I can do to help out! :D Here's a picture of the packing cubes we use. And yes, I'm a planner, but each of us have our own colors, so it keeps it easy to find who's clothes are who's!!

13032_9_1?resmode=4&op_usm=1,1,1,&qlt=95,1&hei=280&wid=280&align=0,1

I actually really liked doing my laundry in Rome - made me feel like I was living there, even for just a short time! Sigh...

Did the guys (and gals) also pack formal wear for all the formal nights??? ugh!!

Did the guys (and gals) also pack formal wear for all the formal nights??? ugh!!

We did sort of casual formal night! With as long as we were gone, we didn't want to have to worry about fitting in jackets for the guys or super formal wear.

I did have two "more" formal outfits for the gals - above the dresses that Megan and I wore pretty much daily. If you notice we wore a lot of dresses daily. They were more comfortable in the heat! But we ended up only doing one formal night on the Navigator. The other night I think the kids ended up with my parents in Johnny Rockets and Keith and I ended up at Portofino's. And on the Epic they don't technically have a formal night.

Megan and I dressed up a bit each night for dinner, where the rest of the group pretty much wore what they had on during the day - except on the Navigator, where they wore long pants each night at dinner.

Here's our Formal Night picture - which by the way I think turned out awful I just show it because you ask what we wore!!! This is one of the ship's photographer's photos. We got the photo package and honestly I wasn't really happy with most of the pictures. And we didn't have time to get enough pictures on the ship done to make it worth while this trip...but that's another post! You've seen how many pictures of us by now - why is my hair and my mom's hair orange in this picture??? :eek:

RNV-130611-Bow1F-1009876.jpg

Edited by ShellDil

Ok everyone! Back to the journey! I left off after our day at the Vatican and our afternoon tour of Underground Rome!

Friday, June 28th

Today is our last day in Italy. Such a bittersweet day, I'm not ready to go home! It’s the day we’re going to Fallo! This is the town where my great grandfather was born. And it’s actually the town that several other relatives came over to the US from as well.

Originally we thought about driving to Fallo on our own. It’s a good thing we didn’t! Not because of the drive, but as we’d later find out – we would have been absolutely lost once we arrived!

As luck would have it, during my research I found out that Rome in Limo, one of the most commonly used tour companies for cruise passengers, happens to do a tour called “Back to Your Roots”! I stumbled across this when I was looking for our port tours. Interestingly for some reason we didn’t book any of our ports with them, but I did find this tour! I contacted them, and they were very easy to work with. Jany always replied by email very quickly – it seemed day or night! Did she ever sleep? Was there more than one Jany?

Back when we started planning our trip, last summer, I started doing some pretty heavy family research. Sure – we knew the basics, but if we were going to try to find the “homeland” we had to know the details! So I went onto ancestery.com and did the whole family tree and I have to say it was absolutely fascinating! I found the immigration records for my great grandfather. I saw the ship records for each and every time he came back and forth from the US to not only Italy but other places in Europe! I saw the paperwork where he became a US citizen, with his signature! So, on these papers, his hometown would be listed, with his birth date as well as his parents’ names. Which of course my grandmother knew, but to have it documented was fascinating!

I did hit a wall at my great-great grandfather. Once the records get to Italy it stops. I ended up researching both my mom’s mother’s family and her father’s family. Her father’s family will have to be our return trip to Italy! :) His side is quite interesting! That one may make for a whole novel, not just a trip report!

Anyway, as our trip got closer, I emailed Jany some of the details so our driver/guide would know where we would be going and what we’d be looking for.

We knew our drive would be about three hours or so. Keith decided to stay back at the apartment again today. He didn’t want to spend more than six hours in the van. Today he planned to check out some of the craft breweries in Rome. Not only is he a chef, but he is a pretty talented home brewer as well.

So, while he slept in, we met our driver, Vincenzo, right at 8 am! We had a nice large van and Vincenzo told us that we’d take the highway out towards the Adriatic Sea and then back track towards Fallo, which is in the Abruzzo region of Italy. He said this would be a smoother ride, less mountainous… even though we’d be backtracking a bit. Coincidentally he was from a town about 25 minutes from Fallo, although he’s never been there himself.

For those interested, Fallo is a tiny town with only 150 residents, maybe less. At the time when my great grandfather left Fallo, in the early 1900’s there were over 1000 residents!

We rode along while Vincenzo drove. You would have honestly thought he was going to visit his home town too! He was so enthusiastic about this trip with us! The drive was so scenic, and apparently this wasn’t even the scenic route!

DSC_2421.JPG

DSC_2422.JPG

DSC_2424.JPG

We stopped at an Autogrill for a bit of a break, filled up the van with gas and got some snacks. I got an éclair type pastry. And once again – I was quite impressed with the freshness and quality of the food! So far train stations and roadside food has not disappointed us!

DSC_2425.JPG

When we got close to our destination, Vincenzo told us to get our cameras out! He was funny – he wanted to be sure we’d get pictures of the road signs for Fallo!

DSC_2427.JPG

And the “Benvenuti Fallo” signs!

DSC_2429.JPG

DSCN1139.JPG

He was great. I feel so lucky that we’ve had such great drivers and guides! Here we are on our last day and every guide and/or driver has been wonderful!

As we approached the town, we were actually a bit surprised at just how modern it all seemed, with respect to where we were! First we saw an actual hotel! Shocking! When the town has 100 or so residents, you don’t expect a hotel!

DSCN1169.JPG

But it certainly was filled with old world charm. This was absolutely nothing like my mom expected. I’d seen some pictures online in my research. She was maybe expecting something more farm like for some reason. I knew it was a medieval hill town type place. It was lovely!

Vincenzo slowed down and spoke Italian to two gentleman on the street, asking them where the City Hall was. With some enthusiastic hand motions we were on our way. Which was funny because there was only one road into the town!

DSCN1140.JPG

We parked our very large, and seemingly out of place van and piled out. I felt like we stuck out like a sore thumb!

We walked into the City Hall building and the first thing we saw was a poster on a bulletin board from a recent election. It may have been in all Italian, but my mom could not believe that of all the names listed she recognized the surnames of more than half of them! If they weren’t family names they were neighbors she grew up with! They were families that also came over with her grand father!

DSC_2431.JPG

DSCN1144.JPG

We walked up the steps of the very modern City Hall building and found someone in one of the offices. Not a soul spoke one word of English! Thank Goodness we didn’t make this trip on our own as our original plan was! Vincenzo explained why we were here and who we were looking for. It’s not unusual for Americans to come to parts of Italy looking for a piece of their heritage, but I’m also pretty sure that this little town doesn’t get too many people stopping by too often! They have approximately 30 families that live there!

After some lively conversation, the gentleman went to find the County Clerk. She came back all smiles! My mom and her got along as if they were separated at birth. However, neither could understand a word the other said! Not one word! As I stood there it was as if I was watching a movie – we walked into the room with these big books and boxes of records….

DSCN1141.JPG

It was very exciting! We had our paper printout from ancestry.com, words were being spoken a mile a minute – in English and Italian and Vincenzo was translating all the while! There was laughing and hands were going as only the Italians do! My mom was waving her hands, the clerk waving hers...The town Sheriff came in and joined in the conversation, his hands started going too. My mom talking to them both as if they could understand eachother and they talking to her as if she could understand them! I stood there watching this exchange and my mom was just so at home here! I kept thinking how much she has loved Italy!

DSCN1142.JPG

DSCN1143.JPG

DSC_2432.JPG

Only there was a problem, they kept looking and they couldn’t find Patrizio DiVito! It’s not that we were in the wrong place, of course he was born here – we know that. But their records don’t go back far enough. When they built this City Hall, they didn’t put the oldest records here. Did we have time to go to the main hall of records? It’s in another town? That would give us more information. We could find HIS card? Vincenzo was pointing at his watch and telling them we’re only here for one day and we’d need an appointment if we went to the other town. Oh my!

But wait – that’s ok because they can still show us the house that was the DiVito house! With a town this small, when a family owns property, they really only have one home and it’s passed down from generation to generation. Unfortunately the “last” of the DiVitos passed away this past March, but we can see the house and see the town!

It wasn’t surprising that there wouldn’t have been any other DiVitos because my great grandfather, his father, and his sister all came to America. As a matter of fact, it’s a mystery as to who that last DiVito is a decedent from! We’ve got to do some research on that - maybe even a trip back to ask?

Hugs were exchanged between my mom and the County Clerk. She was so upset she couldn’t find my great grandfather’s information. She must have searched every box and book for it! However, she was very pleased that we could see the house that he likely grew up in! And to see the town itself! Honestly, being here was like visiting with old friends!

DSC_2433.JPG

So, we left the courthouse, with an escort from the Sheriff so that he could show us the house – the American family escorted down the street…

DSC_2436.JPG

the Italians started looking out their windows – who were these people in our town? He’d call up to them – in Italian – you could make out some words – “America” “DiVito” “familia” And then an “ahhhhh” He’d ask them if they knew Patrizio – well of course not – he left in 1910! They did know the DiVito who recently passed away though! They’d wave to us and smile!

So we walked up to the house – it was charming! Lovely! It’s currently vacant if anyone is looking!

DSC_2439.JPG

We walked through town...

DSC_2437.JPG

DSC_2438.JPG

DSC_2441.JPG

DSC_2442.JPG

We saw the town church – it’s beautiful inside!

DSC_2448.JPG

DSC_2449.JPG

DSC_2451.JPG

Then the sheriff left us to just wander around the town a bit. It didn’t take long! Like so many little medieval towns seem to be, it’s basically a one street circle or loop.

DSC_2452.JPG

DSC_2453.JPG

On our way out of town we stopped at the Fallo Hotel for lunch.

The views on the way out of town were beautiful!

DSC_2462.JPG

DSCN1168.JPG

This one may be just a bit too close for Alex!

DSC_2464.JPG

DSC_2465.JPG

Our spot for lunch

DSC_2466.JPG

We of course had Vincenzo join us. He was so much more than a driver that day! And again, thankfully he joined us for lunch! Not that we couldn’t have figured it out – but this particular restaurant was 100% all Italian! The menu – all Italian! And in his charming way, he asked us what we might like for lunch, even if it wasn’t necessarily on the menu, and what do you know – that’s what we got. I believe my dad got something from the menu, but Alex and I had gnocchi with traditional sauce and my mom and Megan had spaghetti carbonara. Neither of those items were on the menu and both were phenomenal! We had some starters, the five of us had entrees, I’m pretty sure there was wine involved and this meal was half the price of our over priced Panini lunch by the Vatican yesterday! Location is everything!

We decided that our drive back should be through the mountains instead of taking the highway. We were feeling adventurous now! We went through several little hill towns and it was just beautiful! Of course our stomachs were full and before long we were all sleeping!

All in all our day to Fallo was a huge success! It was something we’ll remember forever! On our next trip we’ll have to do the same for my mother’s father’s father!

Next up - our last night in Rome!

DSCN1141.JPG

I know I already posted this picture - and now I'm going back and re-reading the posts and I'm looking at this picture, which my dad took, and looking at the expression on our faces wondering just what the heck is going on here!

It's funny because the man behind us in the hallway is Vincenzo - our driver and translator!! So obviously my mom is talking to the clerk. And darn I wish I had her name! I hate to keep calling her "the clerk"! I look like I'm trying so hard to figure out what they're saying and I know that the only Italian my mom knows is words for food! Think "ricotta, pepperoni, prosciutto" ;)

This picture just makes me laugh because we're all so deep in thought and conversation but I know we can't understand a word each other is saying!

I left off after our fantastic trip to Fallo...here we are, our last evening in Rome! Our trip is coming to an end, and fast!

We returned to our apartment and had some time to relax for a bit. We looked through the various booklets that Alessandra had left us and tried to decide where to go for dinner. We had recommendations from our guide yesterday, Mike, and we also had our list from our first night – our tour with Bruno. So many options! It was our last night – we wanted it to be special. While we tossed ideas around I also did most of our packing. I didn’t want to have to come back tonight and deal with it.

We knew one destination for sure tonight would be the Trevi Fountain. So off we went, walking towards that direction. We had the address of one of the restaurants that Mike recommended, a place called Macerone. This would have been perfect yesterday! But they only had pasta – makes sense given the name right? We all had pasta for lunch and while really I wouldn’t have had a problem with more pasta, who would really? Some in our group wanted pizza…um, think Alex! So we kept looking.

Really, not a big deal, there must be more restaurants than anything else in Rome! We found a place a few blocks past the Piazza Rotunda on a nice street. I absolutely love eating outside, musicians strolling by – sure they want a tip, but it’s such an amazing atmosphere! We had a good meal. Not the best of the trip, but it was good and the service was very good. We always had the most fantastic waiters and waitresses. They always served us with a smile and loved to joke with us and the kids. They often asked us where we were from and how long we’d be in Italy. To be honest, this is one of the things I miss the most since being home. I hate the rushed feeling you get when eating out in the states. It really has come to bother me when the servers clear you plates while part of your group is still eating. It bothers me when they bring your check and place it at the table stating "no rush", sometimes before you're even finished eating - but you know they just want to get you out of there so they can get your table filled for the next group so they can get their next tip. I miss the slow paced meals in Europe. I miss the feeling that you're dining in a restaurant where you're treated like part of the family, where they honestly want you to enjoy every bite of food and not just bringing in dollars....

I'm sure my dad would love that I posted this picture of him - but why not - he was getting a bit goofy by this part of the trip I think! Maybe we all were!!

DSC_2470.JPG

After dinner the waitress offered us complimentary shots of Lemoncello and asked if the kids could have some. Again with the alcohol for kids! When I seemed a bit taken aback, they waitress laughed and said – they’re on vacation right? Alex seemed to indicate to her that he agreed and she brought both kids very watered down shots! We toasted our final night and fantastic trip!

Keith decided to head back to the apartment instead of walking to the Trevi fountain. I don’t think he has the desire to toss a coin in or fight the crowds there!

The rest of us made our way – it was our first time out really exploring Rome at night. Every other time we knew exactly how to get from point A to point B. This time we knew our destination but not so much how to get there. Off we went, map in hand! We made it without getting lost and we enjoyed the lively streets at night. Although I will say that G-pop was starting to look tired, his knee was starting to bother him. It took 21 days, but I think he’s fading! And Mimi, she just might be getting tired too! Sometimes I forget that they’re almost 70 years old! They have kept up so well with us that it’s hard to remember!

DSC_2474.JPG

DSC_2475.JPG

Megan had a fascination for these giant doors! Why in the world were they so big anyway???

DSC_2476.JPG

And another one!

DSC_2477.JPG

Sights on our walk to the Trevi Fountain

DSC_2478.JPG