Getting your dress to the boat?

I'll apologize in advance for my long winded post from this frequent flyer and cruise bride.

Most US airlines allow you to bring one carry-on item onboard, plus one “personal item” (i.e., purse or laptop case), and they becoming more and more strict about imposing this limit. Your gown will count as your one allowable carry-on, other than a purse or small bag that must fit under your seat. All carry-on items -- even wedding gowns -- must meet FAA regulations for maximum size which is approximately 22" x 14" x 9". So make sure whatever you bring the gown in meets these restrictions.

As if all that isn’t enough, gate attendants can further limit your carry-on allowance, depending on the storage capacity of the specific plane and the number of passengers. With airlines now charging for most checked baggage, overhead space fills up quickly. Once that happens, anyone who has a bag that won’t fit under the seat must check their bag -- even if it's got a wedding gown in it! On more than one recent flight, I watched while dozens were forced to check their roll-aboard bags.

If your budget allows, the best option is to purchase a seat for your dress. But if that's not an option, here are some tips.

First, call the airline and check on their rules. See if they make any special exceptions for a wedding dress (some airlines might). Also, check to see if the aircraft for your flight has a closet to hang the dress. Most don't have them anymore, but you should check anyway. Arrive at the gate early and ask (as nicely as possible ;)) if you can pre-board. Some airlines offer premium boarding where you pay a fee to be in the first boarding group. So, if you can, try buying the early boarding upgrade. If you can't, ask if you can pre-board anyway.

Once onboard, let the crew know you've got a wedding dress. The flight crew will usually try to be helpful, so just smile and be nice and ask if they can help you find space for the dress. But be prepared that you may have to check the dress, or your other carry on bag, or both.

I planned for the worst. I packed my dress in a garment bag that met the carry on standards. You could also use a rollaboard, and just be sure to pack the gown with lots of tissue to limit wrinkles. I wasn’t allowed to board early, but did sweet talk the cabin crew into letting me hang the bag in a crew class closet. Worse case, if there wasn't carry on space, I had a durable bag to check the dress. But I'd avoid checking it if there is any way to avoid it. A wrinkled dress is way better than no dress at all.

Plan to either have your dress steamed or steam it yourself once you arrive. I was married on the first day of our sail, so the ship wasn't able to steam my dress before the wedding (they need 24 hours). Fortunately, my dress traveled well and only needed a touch up with a hand steamer on the morning of the wedding.

My dress went in a foldable garment bag I used as my personal item, I had called our airline twice to get osme sort of direction on if it would be ok or not and got 2 different answers. But both were close to the "it will have to be checked" or "maybe you should pre-send it" so like the other poster I went to the airport preparing for worst case scenario, we had clothes in a smaller carry on and we were prepared to empty that case and switch them out if need be. We had paid for priority boarding so that was helpful and we had picked seats just behind first class so we were on early. The lady at the desk could not give me any direction before boarding said it is solely up to the crew and the amount of carry on s passengers have. When we boarded the attendant was very helpful placing dress in the overhead bin with my hubbys bag and the kids backpacks so we pretty much filled the bin. then she closed it and said hopefully we don't need to put anything else in those. Luckily she didn't have to move anything. We sailed on a Sunday, Wedding was a Wednesday...I sent the dress to laundry to be steamed on the Tuesday and it was perfect.

Congratulations and good luck. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

People by two seats for themselves so that they don't have to share or because they are required to because of their size. By two tickets under the same name. It's goes threw security like any other item.

Archived