All Aboard the Steam Engine Excursion - WHERE'D IT GO

BDUBoftexas

Hi, we're taking the August 20th carnival cruise to Alaska and everyone has told me to be sure to take the steam engine excursion in Skagway. Of course, with my luck - turns out that for some reason, it is not available on my cruise. I went to their website and they are closed on August 23. The one day we're there.

Does anyone know of a good alternative - for something not too crowded (like I hear the other train excursions are) maybe booked outside of the cruise line?

You have several options depending on YOUR preferences. Lake Bennett train tour, is excellent and gives the most train. There is then Fraser one way/round trip, or round trip White Pass.

IF the steam engine had been available-- it would have been the SAME rail cars and SAME potential for full cars. It was only the engine that was different.

I suggest you look at the various tour offers with Chilkoot Charters, and refer to http://www.skagway.com for other independent vendors and what they offer.

The RR is not closed on Aug 23 - they are just not running the steam train on that day. It appears that Aug 23 is one of the few Fridays where there are four ships in port (usually there are only 2) so the pax traffic is doubled and the RR needs to run it's more normal schedule of trains instead of the steam special which takes 4 hrs to run.

As BQ mentioned, you will have regular train service that day including the summit round trips and the one way trips to Fraser. The Bennett Scenic Tour runs from Carcross to Skagway on Fridays so the bus portion is first and train second.

I am also a train buff and love steam engines - but have never been to Skagway when they are running so I have had to settle for the old shovelnose GE's :D and Alco's.

I think that you will find the train ride (whichever one you choose) enjoyable.

Archived