Children's clubs

DrumenaghBrae

We are planning our first cruise. We have never left our son in a children's club on holiday. He will be 4 by the time we travel, and enjoys activities and playing with other kids.

I was wondering what other people's experiences were of children's clubs and the staff.

Thanks!

I can't speak to Celebrity, but I can speak to 4 year olds and kids clubs. My son has always been super excited to go to the kids club, but this usually wears off after a few days. Usually by about day 5 in the cruise, he is ready for a break.

From what I have research on CC and other boards, it seems like the younger children typically spend 2 to 3 hours a day in the clubs. By the time they get to 8 or 9, many parents report that their kids never want to leave the clubs.

I would recommend taking it a little slow the first couple of days. Even if your child wants to go a lot, plan some other activities outside the club and focus on the club activities that you think they will enjoy. If you are going on a long cruise, you may want to take a break from the club an entire day, especially if you have activities that you want to do later in the cruise where you really need your child in the kids club.

I would definitely take your child to the first night meeting and sign him or her up. It doesn't mean you'll be expected to always take your child there every time it's open. Go over the day-by-day schedule (with your child if old enough) and figure out which activities they would love to do (just remember that there could be changes). If your child is enjoying him/herself, then that's great, isn't it? It's their vacation too.

Thanks! I was thinking maybe an hour a day or a specific activity. We have 7 ports in 11days so he'll be spending loads of time with us doing activities and sightseeing. He loves Playgroup at home and playing with other kids so I think he'll want to go do some activities.

We are off to Italy in a few weeks and might check out the kids club there and see how he gets on.

I work in the area of child protection and feel uncomfortable leaving him with strangers. Especially after the Cunard story. I know I worry and it's linked to my work! I have checked it out and they tell me all staff are trained and vetted. I've no doubt that there are some excellent children's staff!

Archived