Victoria Whale Watching with Toddler

Amy G

I've gone on several whale watching excursions and would not have wanted my toddler on board. Please consider the following -- there could be swells and anyone could be seasick, maybe you :-). Walking around may be challenging due to boat movement. It may be suddenly cold, very windy, rainy, and all of the above. Engine noise can be quite loud. After the novelty of getting on the boat and underway wears off, you are going to need to occupy your toddler, particularly if there is a naturalist onboard that people want to hear speaking. Restroom facilities will be cramped and limited. Observation areas will probably consist of cold hard plastic benches outside and benches/tables inside. (no great places for a nap). The boat railings/walls may make you very uncomfortable from a safety standpoint if you have a climber/dasher :-), and you'll need to watch out for heavy doors and transoms. It can be quite boring except for the scenery, and there is no guarantee you'll see a whale. Once the boat leaves the dock you are committed for the full excursion. You know your child best, while it can be spectacular, I don't think it's a suitable excursion for a toddler, and recommend using the child care available on board the ship. Alaska is fantastic, I hope your family has a great time.

Thank you, I really appreciate your response. The reasons you stated are the reasons why I haven't booked this excursion! :) I just keep thinking how I really want to do this trip, but I know that we can wait a few more years when we can all enjoy the trip together. This will be our 3rd trip to Alaska, and we know it wont be the last. :)

Ok, I am now settled with my decision to skip this excursion this year.

Archived