Princess Partial - Which Canal Shore Excursion?

RLM77

We will be on an Island Princess partial transit this fall. We have done full transits twice -- once in each direction. (I only mention this to put some context around my question. What can I say -- we love the Coral-class and are willing to repeat itineraries to sail them.:rolleyes:)

Princess restricts passengers to their shore excursions on Canal day -- no private tours. From reading this board it seems as if the ferry through the Miraflores and Pedro Miguel locks is the most recommended. However, since we have already been through these locks, albeit on much larger vessels, I am wondering if this is the right choice.

Are any of the other Princess excursions worthwhile? Is the trip through the locks in a smaller vessel different enough from passage on a cruise ship to make it worth the time/money?

Thoughts of previous Princess partial transit passengers are much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Rich

We will be on an Island Princess partial transit this fall. We have done full transits twice -- once in each direction. (I only mention this to put some context around my question. What can I say -- we love the Coral-class and are willing to repeat itineraries to sail them.:rolleyes:)

Princess restricts passengers to their shore excursions on Canal day -- no private tours. From reading this board it seems as if the ferry through the Miraflores and Pedro Miguel locks is the most recommended. However, since we have already been through these locks, albeit on much larger vessels, I am wondering if this is the right choice.

Are any of the other Princess excursions worthwhile? Is the trip through the locks in a smaller vessel different enough from passage on a cruise ship to make it worth the time/money?

Thoughts of previous Princess partial transit passengers are much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Rich

Honestly the biggest reason the partial transit of the Pacific Locks is so popular is it gives passengers that are on a partial transit cruise an excellent look at the Canal. By combining your transit of the Atlantic Locks on your ship and the passage through the Pacific on the ferry you will get to see a large portion of the Canal. Although you don't get true bragging rights that you have transited the Panama Canal, it's close enough for many people. The one thing that is unique is seeing the operation from your Panamax cruise ship and then seeing it from the vantage point from on the ferry does let you see it with a completely different perspective. Your ship tends to dwarf the enormity of the lock complex while the ferry seems to magnify the Locks. If I have read your history correctly it hasn't been that long ago you made a full transit, so you would have been able to see the excavation on the Pacific side for the channel to the new Pacific Locks. Perhaps this maybe a good time to see what else Panama has in store? The Panama Tourist Bureau used to have a saying something to the effect.... "Panama... and you thought it was just a Canal."

You may wish to consider what Princess calls Scenic Drive and Walking Tour of Old Panama City. This tour will take you by the ruins of Old Panama and then on to the Casco Antiguo which was founded after Henry Morgan sacked Old Panama in 1671. There appears to be a variation of this tour that also stops at Miraflores Locks.

The tours to the Embera Indians are very popular and well received, this is probably one of the more unique excursions. There is a variation of this that takes in Gatun Locks as well.

An excursion that is new since I was there last is Panama Canal Today Locks System and the Future. This tour takes you to the present Gatun Locks and to an Observation Area for you to see the construction of the new expansion locks up close.

Excursions that have a more limited appeal would be the Train Trip across the Isthmus, Fort San Lorenzo , Monkey Island.

Whatever you decide, I'm sure you will enjoy.

Rich, It's not Princess that restricts guests from taking private tours on partial transits but the Canal authority. Guests on tour are tendered off the ship in Gatun Lake to a place called the "Gatun Yacht Club" - Ha! I doubt if there ever was a real yacht there and there sure isn't now. It's just a place for tour buses to park and pick up guests, NOTHING else. Cabs, private cars, private vans, etc., are not permitted. So it is a ship tour or nothing. HOwever, Princess has some excellent tours. My favorite is the Authentic Embera Indian Village tour because it is so different and so uniquely Panama. But it really depends on what you area of interest is. When the existing Canal was being built people came from all over the world just to visit the construction site: that is a unique opportunity only available now as the Canal is enlarged. The ferry boat through the Canal gets you up close and personal, but you've already done the full transit and seen the entire Canal from the ship which is the best vantage point. Frankly since you've already transited the Canal, I think a tour t hat actually lets you see some of the rest of the country would be a much better choice!

Regards, Richard

we went on the full day authentic embera indian village tour. the tour guide provided a lot of information during the bus ride and I feel like we got to see some of the country as we were riding. the canoe ride down the river felt like being in the middle of the jungle. the village and the people were amazing. it was really interesting to learn about their lives and walk around their public area, school and even homes. I know a little Spanish and met a 5 year old girl at the village who had been learning Spanish and it was the highlight of my trip to discuss our interests together.

my only regret is not purchasing a little carved turtle from one of the villagers.

I definitely recommend this tour!

Archived