Upgrading Cabin

cambridgemgr

We are leaving on the Voyager of the Seas on Friday July1st.

Bookings are closed to new passengers; We have an assigned cabin; is there any way to upgrade our E1 balcony cabin to a junior suite, if there are still some available? I called RCCL directly yesterday, and they basically told me I should contact my travel person; and I would have to pay the price differential of what that cabin is going for from what I paid for my cabin.

I was hoping that if a suite is available, I can get a discount on the upgrade; but not have to pay the full upgrade price since it is not going to be sold anyway. Does anyone know anything regarding this?

Thanx for your thoughts...

There are no guarantees, of course. But I know people who have done so. Some people say to get there early to assure you get the cabin you know is vacant. But someone else may have taken it by the time you get there. HOWEVER, their cabin is now available. I know of a group that each was able to upgrade to one another's slightly higher category for a few hundred dollars, whereas it would have cost triple that if you'd done it before you got to the pier.

You most likely will not get a free, or reduced upgrade. Almost all cruise lines are making you pay the full difference in price between the cabin you're assigned and the one you want to upgrade to. My advice has always been, don't book a cabin that you know you won't be satisfied with in the hopes of a free upgrade. Ships are sailing nearly full and the cruise lines aren't gernerous anymore with their upgrades. I was in line behind a couple who wanted to upgrade to a suite and the cost would have been $1000 a person to upgrade from the cabin they purchased. BTW, they passed on the upgrade.

Archived