West Bay Beach day/Transportation from Mohagany Bay

IUHoops

We will be in Mahogany Bay on the Carnival Sunshine in March 2014 from 8:00 to 6:00. There are 4 ships in port that day. After researching this site, West Bay looks like the best option for our family since we all love the beach. I think we would prefer West Bay vs. staying at MB. My questions:

1. How long is the ride from MB to West Bay?

2. What is the best way to get there? Victor Bodden or Rony, or a cab?

3. What would the cost of transportation be?

4. Where (specifically) should we ask to go to in West Bay? Mainly looking for a great beach day with access to chairs, soft white sand, clean bathroom, snorkeling, and a few beers.

5. What kind of expense would we have to rent chairs? Cost of beers/drinks?

We realize that it will probably be crowded and there are vendors on the beach. As a point of reference, we really enjoyed Seven Mile Beach in Grand Cayman, Nachi and Mr. Sanchos in Cozumel, and Doctor's Cave in Jamaica.

Or, is there a better beach option closer to MB?

Thanks!

At the present time for our October cruise we have Victor Bodden's Zip and Dip reserved. We have about 9 hours in Roatan that day. From what I hear/read taxis are $$$$ so with the Zip line and them taking us to the beach and back to the boat I think $130 total is a fair price.

Here is the email reserving the tour...

I have reserved the Zip-N-Dip group excursion for your group of 2 guests for Oct 30 and we can't wait to share our Roatan with you guys! Your Zip-N-Dip group excursion will leave the dock ONE hour after your ship's originally scheduled arrival time and return you to your ship from West Bay Beach TWO hours before your ship is scheduled to leave. During your tour day, we will take you by the Bodden Tours office where you will pay for your Zip-N-Dip Group Excursion in US$65 per person cash for your day on Roatan. Food/Beverages are not provided, but your guide will be happy to recommend a restaurant or bar for some local food, or some comfort food from home. Just give your guide know an idea of the price range and type of food that you'd like.

We have been three times , and in my opinion you are probably best to use one of the tour guides, like Bodden or Rony. We lucked out last April and through a friend I came to know who drives the harbor boat, we got with a man named Witsell James , who is a one man show, has a large van, and could not be any nicer. He charged $20 PP for the 4 of us , and stayed with us , and said we could do whatever we wanted. We wanted to go to West Bay which is about 30 min from Coxen Hole , or a little more from Mahogany, and he suggested Argentine Grill on West Bay. There is one at West End also, where Half Moon Bay Resort is, a wonderful place to eat. The beach chairs are very nice, clean restrooms, decent food , and good beer prices. Port Royal or Salva Vida are two good ones.If you want to try to contact Witsell, it is roatanjames@yahoo.com.May be hard to reach. He is on the right in the photo, and the other is at Argentine Grill. I think you would do good to get a regular cab from Mahogany for $25 PP round trip , so might as well get a guide in case you want other options . Good luck , and enjoy your cruise.

SANY2343.jpg

image url upload

SANY2361.jpg

program for screenshots for windows

We have been three times , and in my opinion you are probably best to use one of the tour guides, like Bodden or Rony. We lucked out last April and through a friend I came to know who drives the harbor boat, we got with a man named Witsell James , who is a one man show, has a large van, and could not be any nicer. He charged $20 PP for the 4 of us , and stayed with us , and said we could do whatever we wanted. We wanted to go to West Bay which is about 30 min from Coxen Hole , or a little more from Mahogany, and he suggested Argentine Grill on West Bay. There is one at West End also, where Half Moon Bay Resort is, a wonderful place to eat. The beach chairs are very nice, clean restrooms, decent food , and good beer prices. Port Royal or Salva Vida are two good ones.If you want to try to contact Witsell, it is roatanjames@yahoo.com.May be hard to reach. He is on the right in the photo, and the other is at Argentine Grill. I think you would do good to get a regular cab from Mahogany for $25 PP round trip , so might as well get a guide in case you want other options . Good luck , and enjoy your cruise.

SANY2343.jpg

image url upload

SANY2361.jpg

program for screenshots for windows

Thanks for the response. I have reached out to Bodden Tours to see about transportation to West Bay beach and possibly a stop at West End. We are primarily interested in spending the day at the beach. Everything I have read regarding Roatan and Bodden tours sounds fantastic. I know I want to get out and see the real Roatan. I have little interest in staying at Mahogany Bay. About how long is the trip from Mahogany Bay to West Bay. Also, is the photo with the lounge chairs at Argentine Grill? How much were chairs for the day? My kids will want to be close to the snorkeling. Much of what I have read sounds like there is great snorkeling right off the beach, but it can be difficult to get out to deeper water because of the coral. Is there a better area of the beach to navigate to the deeper water? Also, did you experience any problems with insects? I am keeping my fingers crossed that we can make it into Mahogany Bay. I understand Roatan is often missed due to weather.

Is there a better area of the beach to navigate to the deeper water?

There is a great thread on here called Quizzing Experienced Snorkelers. It answers any questions you may have about snorkeling off of West Bay Beach.

What you are looking for is called "The Kidney" and can be seen in the photo below. It is near the dock for the water taxi in front of Infinity Bay Resort. (It's the only dock in the picture.) You can find this passage by getting into the water on the wall side (the wall is at the end of the beach and is called "The Iguana Wall") of the dock, swimming out to the coral, then following it towards the wall. You can't miss The Kidney's sandy bottom, which will lead you to the outside part of the reef. :cool:

20281e30-9dc6-4bcf-a91f-7737802fc90e.jpg?rnd=0.1927258

Archived