Booking through cruise line or TA?

jana616

This may have been addressed in other threads, but I didn't see it, so forgive me if this is a repeat... We are planning our first cruise on RCI on 1/22/06 on Radiance of the Seas. The prices quoted from RCI website, two local travel agents, AAA, Sam's Club, Travelocity, and 4-5 travel agent websites are exactly the same, pretty much down to the penny. The local agents I called seemed to know even less than I did after reading a few books and looking on here, so I don't feel like using them will get me better expertise or service. So who do I go through? I have seen some posts that say you can get on-board credits/insurance through various agents, but no one has offered me anything. Do I call one up and say that everyone's price is the same and I'm going to use whoever gets me "extras"? Help please!!!!

I've always used a travel agent, and after 40 cruises through that agency, I get a lot of perks. You have to build a rapport with a travel agent in order to get the perks, but once you do, a TA can be invaluable. Mine pays gratuities, sends flowers and wine, and on some cruises I get a free shore excursion. Since there's no price difference, I would still go with a TA. That way, and since it's your first cruise, if anything should go wrong, or if a problem arises, you have the TA to help you. If you book with the cruise line, there's no one to run interferrence for you with a problem.

ta's can't discount with Royal cruises anymore. So you'll find the same price everywhere. If you email me, I can suggest someone u can try...she gave me a choice of 100.00 on board credit OR free travel ins. But don't want to advertise there name as I think it's a rule here.:rolleyes:

My email address is jlsbfam@centurytel.net

If you feel more comfortable going directly through Royal, then do so. Some first time cruisers choose to do this.

Laura

My advice is go with the cruise line. I'll assume that you are going to book your own air and hotel if you need one. The only other thing that could go "wrong" would be with the cruise line. Who better to help you with a cruise line problem than the cruise line? Besides, no one really knows how the upgrades work, but my money is with those who book direct. We were on an RCCL cruise to the Mex Riviera and were upgraded from an outside cabin to an owner's suite with no charge! I'll take that over a bottle of wine any time.

Peter

I like dealing directly with the cruiseline so you are in control. Started to book with a TA once, then couldn't go and found out that the travel insurance was $100 pp more than what it was through the cruiseline. Also, got upgrades from them and a promotional balcony for $686! It may be time consuming, but worth it to me.. We always book a hotel the day before and our own air. TAs always have to make their commission somewhere and can't blame them!

Royal Caribbean just recently changed the rules stating that no one can undercut their advertised price. :( Agents used to give up some of their personal commission on a cruise in order to get people to purchase the cruise but they can't do that with Royal Caribbean anymore. But if you look around at some of the websites online, many of them are compensating for the higher price by giving you free shore excursions, free travel insurance, and even free onboard credits. I have gotten these offers from several online cruise websites without building up a reputation with them or anything. First time cruisers will feel safer going directly through the cruise line or getting a local TA so that they can call and get questions answered anytime they need something. I'm a veteran cruiser and book totally online now. I have done a number of cruises straight through online agencies and it has been an excellent experience every time. ;)

Archived