South America in Winter?

SevenSeas70

I'm looking at a January cruise on the Infinity from Buenos Aires to Valparaiso, Chile. I've heard that rounding the Cape can be pretty rough in Winter, and I'd like to hear from anyone who has taken this cruise around that time. What were your best experiences, and what were your worst?

Also, with the limited outside cabins that are available now, the best choices are on Deck 2. What's it like down there on those seas?

Thanks in advance for the information.

SevenSeas,

We made the same cruise on Feb. 13 of this year and I really don't remember any rough seas that would make you sick. Had very good seas going around the Cape and not bad going to the Falkland Islands. Its not unusual to have rough seas around the Faklands and not be able to go ashore. You have to tender there. We had excellent weather, but the trip before us had some bad weather. It is just the luck of the draw as to what kind of weather you will have. You will love this cruise.

Don

Actually, January is the summer in South America. The cruise around the horn can be horribly rough. It's just luck that will determine how the seas will be. A friend of mine is a Captain on Crystal's ships and he said some of the roughest seas can be in Drake's Passage. You could have smooth as glass and you could have 50ft seas. It is also usually very rough around the Falklands.

In Junuary 2000, we took the same cruise your taking and found it to be one best cruises we have taken from a scenic standpoint. Yes when you go around the Horn it can get a bit rough but we didn't think it was that bad and we were on NCL's Crown, which is a small ship. If your ship cruises the Beagle Channel you will find one of the most spectacular glaciers I have ever seen called the "Romanche Glacier". What makes it so spectacular is that the glacier ends about 200 ft or so above the channel level and the drop to the channel is a large waterfall.

Hope you enjoy the cruise.

We've done around the horn twice. It was beautiful and the seas were fine. I don't know why there is so much drama about the weather. If it is bad, the captain takes the ship through a more protected area.

Also went to the Falklands.......interesting for a one day visit. We were on the NCL Crown on that trip, and we tendered into the port. It was smooth. I have found the only rough part on that trip is when you are coming or going into Valpariso, and are in the Pacific ocean, the rest of the time in Chile you are in very protected waters.

Probably my most favorite cruise destination..........

I was told by the celebrity sales person on our last cruise that you are better off going from Buenos Aires to Valparaiso.

Cannot imagine why they would say that. We planned our trips, one each way based on the dates. Either way you go, it is worth every penny.

Archived