Moorea- Dr Poole or Catamaran???

billinsugarloaf

I've seen mostly very positive reviews of Dr Poole's tour, but there are a couple that just have me hesitating. The main criticism seems to be that you might go out in all sorts of weather and that the seating arrangements pretty much lock you into a spot that may not be the best. Also that there's no snorkeling with either the dolphins or whales. Understand the latter, but that point does come into play.

For the catamaran tour, it sounds more accommodating, and nice, but there's no attempt, that I can see, to see whales.

Now we've seen whales off Maui from fairly close, so I don't need to repeat that.

Anyone with some good old subjective viewpoints to help me figure out which to choose? By the way, we will have already snorkeled on tours at Huahine, Bora Bora, and Fakarava, but the catamaran thing sounds just a bit different.

Bill

I've seen mostly very positive reviews of Dr Poole's tour, but there are a couple that just have me hesitating. The main criticism seems to be that you might go out in all sorts of weather and that the seating arrangements pretty much lock you into a spot that may not be the best. Also that there's no snorkeling with either the dolphins or whales. Understand the latter, but that point does come into play.

For the catamaran tour, it sounds more accommodating, and nice, but there's no attempt, that I can see, to see whales.

Now we've seen whales off Maui from fairly close, so I don't need to repeat that.

Anyone with some good old subjective viewpoints to help me figure out which to choose? By the way, we will have already snorkeled on tours at Huahine, Bora Bora, and Fakarava, but the catamaran thing sounds just a bit different.

Bill

Bill, this is a great topic. We are planning to do Dr Poole the first day and the Catamaran the second day but would love to hear some opinions from folks that have already done these tours. We just did a dolphin watching tour in St Lucia that was amazing, probably 200 dolphins right next to the Catamaran so we might switch out of the Dr Poole tour unless there is a really good chance at close whale sightings. We both love to spend the day on a Catamaran so we will probably stick with that tour no matter what. See you in less than 2 weeks.

Mark

I apologize, this is more then a little off topic - Tikiman - who did you use for the cat tour in St Lucia? We'll be there in December and it sounds like you had a good tour there.

We used a group called Mystic Man. They require 10 minimum, we had 13 total and it was fantastic. Picked up right at the pier, 43 ft Cat, sailed south to the Pitons, found the dolphins and stayed for about 30 minutes, literally hundreds of them. Then sailed into Anse Chastanet (I had specifically asked for that beach), snorkeled in the Marine Preserve for about 45 minutes and then sailed back up the coast with a quick pass through Marigot Bay. $90 per person and worth every cent.

Tell Wendell (the owner) hello from Mark in Atlanta.

If you need any other help on other islands down there just let know.

Mark

Hi, have just got back from sailing on the 3rd of August.

I did the catamaran on the first day at Moorea and we did spend some time watching a mother and her calf (ie whales) just outside the reef between the two bays you visit. So although they don't advertise it, if whales are spotted they will take their time to ensure you see them.

Then I did Michael Poole on the second day, yep it was rocky out there and he is very insistent you stay in your place. Apparently the day before he did have a number of his people on the boat in the water snorkelling near the whales. And if you aren't having much luck finding dolphins our whales he will take you to a snorkelling spot.

Archived