Question-Taxes & Port Fees

joyce&bob

Can someone help me understand....booked with TA and on my invoice it reads price/$. Then it shows taxes & port charges/$.....Total of both is what I paid.

Sounds correct. But on Carnival website cost of cruise is higher but taxes and fees are lower. Does this mean the price of my cruise has gone down or do they just include the port fees in the cruise price?

Carnival includes "port fees" as part of the cruise fare. They are required by law to do this. Many people don't understand that, even after I explain it to them in great detail. The amount that Carnival labels as gov't taxes & fees are all taxes & fees except for port fees. Even Carnival's description of what is included in taxes & fees is confusing, as they try to make it sound like port fees are included, but they are not.

So if your total is equal to what Carnival is showing, the price hasn't changed. It can get confusing & difficult when looking for any potential price drops, so it's good to make note of what Carnival shows the cruise fare to be. (That is, if you will be eligible for any price drops)

Carnival includes "port fees" as part of the cruise fare. They are required by law to do this. Many people don't understand that, even after I explain it to them in great detail. The amount that Carnival labels as gov't taxes & fees are all taxes & fees except for port fees. Even Carnival's description of what is included in taxes & fees is confusing, as they try to make it sound like port fees are included, but they are not.

So if your total is equal to what Carnival is showing, the price hasn't changed. It can get confusing & difficult when looking for any potential price drops, so it's good to make note of what Carnival shows the cruise fare to be. (That is, if you will be eligible for any price drops)

I would add to this explanation that TA's tend to break it down differently because they don't earn commission on the port charges that are reflected in Carnival's price, so their bookkeeping needs are different.

I would add to this explanation that TA's tend to break it down differently because they don't earn commission on the port charges that are reflected in Carnival's price, so their bookkeeping needs are different.

Thanks, makes more sense now.

Archived