using US travel agents

I have been on a fair few cruises and have always got what I thought was a good deal from booking direct with the company or using a few different UK travel websites, we always book late.

While researching our trip next month I started to look at prices on some US sites and found them to be a lot cheaper, plus they came back to me with really good customer service. I booked happy in the knowledge that they had undercut all the prices I could find in the UK considerably.

A week later I found another US site that allows you to put in your desired cruise to numerous US travel agents who come back to you with quotes, some of these were cheaper than my booking but I was still happy to have got the deal that I did and will know to use that site in future!

To my surpise today I received an email from the US travel agent with a voucher for a speciality restaurant and spa treatment voucher for my cruise, how wonderful!

I don't think I will be using any of the UK sites ever again...

Wanted to share this so you can get the best deal you can :)

Hi, thank you for posting your positive experience. I have also noticed much cheaper cruise prices advertised by US travel agents. I never truly considered booking through them only because I was worried there may be something in the small print preventing them being sold to customers outside the US & Canada.

Your wonderful experience appears to suggest confirm there are no issues booking through a US travel agent and, based upon that, I would therefore most definitely consider for future sailings! We rarely buy packaged holidays and prefer to source flights and any additional accommodation separately so would lose little if anything booking through a US travel agent.

• 2 weeks later...

I live in the US and I had a little surprise when I booked through a local travel agent. The price was the same as on the cruise line website, but they charged a $40 booking fee. Apparently, now that people can book themselves, and not use the travel agent they have no way of earning income. It took me by surprise and I would've felt bad if I had told her "no" then gone home and done it myself. So far though, I haven't seen any perks to booking through an agent.

I have used a cruise travel agent 3x. She always got me cheaper than the web...if the price went Down, she either got me a credit on my onboard account or on my most recent cruise, she got me a 2 room upgrade. She also knows the best rooms on the best part of the ship. For 1st time cruisers, travel agents are a godsend.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Archived