Why should I switch to Norwegian?

Jenn31708

NYcruise: Meant to add your quote about RCI v. NCL. It's on the first page of this thread. I have not posted in eons so got confused..

I love that your lengthy cruise ship list includes Chandris ships from the good old days -------I sailed on Amerikanis around 1990 and she was certainly ancient THEN. LOVED the old ships -- my NCL cruises were all on ships that are no more --- Skyward, Starward, Southward, Seaward, Windward...... sailed some of them multiple times. I have also sailed Carnival, Princess and lines that are defunct, like Admiral. Wish I knew what happened to the old Azure Seas out of L.A., seventies/eighties.

Not a fan of the newer, mega ships, or even those that aren't quite 'mega' -- I want to feel the motion of the ocean or at least know I'm at sea. On some ships you can't often see the SEA!

For the person who wonders about NCL v. RCI, I say, give NCL a try. It's a bit more casual, very friendly, I think the entertainment is better than on RCI and food is comparable. Being of Norwegian descent, I always loved that the crew on NCL was totally Norwegian though I'm sure that has changed.............

Trying the Sun this fall after many years of sailing mostly Royal Caribbean. Got so tired of RCI's 'routine' that I took a long break from cruising. Always liked NCL so I'm going back now! Hope I'll love it and am sure I will!

Our first ship we sailed on was the Britanis, built in 1931, miss some of the elegance of the old ships. No TV, no internet, no cellphones, no news, no radio, complete escape. The only connection to the outside world was a one page news highlight issued by the ship. Complete escape.:)

As to the Azure Seas, read on and enjoy:

"SS Southern Cross was an ocean liner built in 1955 by Harland & Wolff, Belfast, Northern Ireland for the United Kingdom-based Shaw, Savill & Albion Line for Europe—Australia service. In 1975 she was rebuilt as a cruise ship and subsequently sailed under the names Calypso, Azure Seas and OceanBreeze until 2004 when she was sold for scrap to Ahmed Muztaba Steel Industries, Chittagong, Bangladesh.

The Southern Cross was the first passenger ship of over 20,000 gross register tons to be built that had the engine room (and as a result of that, the funnel) located near the stern, rather than amidships.[1] She started a trend of aft-engined ships, and today most passenger ships are built this way. Southern Cross was also the first major liner to have no cargo space, other than for ship's stores and passenger luggage."

Thanks for the info re Azure Seas -- sailed to Mexico on her several times so many years ago -- not luxurious, of course, but similar to Carnival's oldest ships, the Mardi Gras and Carnivale. The worst thing about Azure Seas, for me, was the thin walls. Every word from adjacent cabins was able to be heard. Yikes!

Our first ship we sailed on was the Britanis, built in 1931, miss some of the elegance of the old ships. No TV, no internet, no cellphones, no news, no radio, complete escape. The only connection to the outside world was a one page news highlight issued by the ship. Complete escape.:)

As to the Azure Seas, read on and enjoy:

"SS Southern Cross was an ocean liner built in 1955 by Harland & Wolff, Belfast, Northern Ireland for the United Kingdom-based Shaw, Savill & Albion Line for Europe—Australia service. In 1975 she was rebuilt as a cruise ship and subsequently sailed under the names Calypso, Azure Seas and OceanBreeze until 2004 when she was sold for scrap to Ahmed Muztaba Steel Industries, Chittagong, Bangladesh.

The Southern Cross was the first passenger ship of over 20,000 gross register tons to be built that had the engine room (and as a result of that, the funnel) located near the stern, rather than amidships.[1] She started a trend of aft-engined ships, and today most passenger ships are built this way. Southern Cross was also the first major liner to have no cargo space, other than for ship's stores and passenger luggage."

Archived