Port in San Diego?

joanne1

I just booked a cruise on the Regal Princess and am planning on using Priceline to book my pre and post nights. Am I right in guessing that the port is downtown? I did see a thread with suggestions for hotels but I am just not sure which area to bid on . . .

Thanks for the advice.

The cruise ship terminal is on the water side of downtown on Harbor Drive. The Holiday Inn Embarcadero is directly accross the street from the terminal. It is not too far from Seaport Village. I haven't lived there for 15 years. I'm sure the locals can tell you what other hotels are near the port. Is Princess now sailing out of San Diego?

Hi,

Although it's been a few yrs since I cruised out of San Diego, as I recall, the cruise terminal is about a three block walk from downtown and the red trains to San Ysidro and environs plus the metro transit system.

Marriott is a nice property and about a 5 min cab ride from the terminal.

Ciao for now!!!

There are many nice properties near the cruise ship terminal.

IMO, you can't go wrong with a harbor view room at the Holiday Inn Embarcadero. There's nothing like waking up, going to your balcony and seeing the ship almost right in front of you.

It is an older property, but was recently refurbished. There is a Ruth's Chris Steakhouse on the premises and Anthony's is right across the street. Anthony's food isn't what it used to be, but the view is magnificent.

If the Holiday Inn isn't up to your snuff, there are several nice properties near the water. The Marriott, The Manchester Grand Hyatt, The Omni and if you're into Starwood's chi chi W brand, the San Diego W is on B street, just a few blocks east of the B street terminal.

One thing San Diego isn't short on is nice hotels. The ones I listed are just the nicest ones in the vicinity of the waterfront. There's also alot downtown like the Westin Horton Plaza, US Grant, Courtyard Gaslamp and more. You could also stay at a variety of properties on Harbor Island. Other areas, like Coronado, Shelter Island, Hotel Circle, Mission Bay and La Jolla aren't as convenient for getting to the B street cruise terminal.

I guess this was a little long...sorry.

The Holiday must be popular. I tried to book for 10/01/05 and they had no rooms available. I have booked at the Hyatt Manchester and asked for a bay

view room.

Carol

The Holiday Inn tends to hold back blocks of rooms for conventions, etc., so if you want to stay there keep checking with them - rooms often become available closer to the date.

Thanks for everyone's extensive suggestions. We have never been to San Diego before so I am not really sure what is convenient but would like to stay close to the port and shopping. I did check the Holiday Inn and there is still room and at a good price too. Checked the Hyatt Manchester and they do have room but 2 nights plus tax is almost more than I paid for the cruise - starting at $340 a night (plus tax), think I will pass on that one :D . I will keep checking some of your other suggestions and see what I come up with.

legalslave - the Regal is now doing the Mexican Riviera out of San Diego

You won't be disappointed with the Holiday Inn. It really is decent. Just make sure you get a harbor view room, which usually costs about $25/night more. I have sailed on the Regal. I think she is one of the most unique looking ships of the modern cruise ship age. It would be neat to see from the hotel room.

I'm not surprised by the rates at the Hyatt. The Marriott and the Omni are about the same. Those properties are close to the convention center.

What made the Hyatt affordable for me is that My husband will be 62 in August and when booking on line they offer a huge discount for Senior Citizens 62 and older. In this case, there is an advantage to getting older.

Carol

smkerry has a good list...

I don't stay in San Diego hotels too often these days (I have a beach house in La Jolla)...but, my basic take is that if you prefer to be near shopping/restaurants/nightlife, you probably want to be in the "Gaslamp"/Horton Plaza area...We've stayed at the US Grant and I recommend it as a statlely and classy hotel, well located...The Westin Horton Plaza would be another choice...You also might look into the Horton Grand...there's a Hilton just south of the Gaslamp and, for those more budget-conscious, a Comfort Inn on G Street in the Gaslamp...Any of these put you only a short cab ride from the pier, but easy walking distance to shopping and restaurants...

I.. we also got the Hyatt Manchester for our Nov. cruise at the same rate that the Holiday Inn was charging. We got one room at the rate for someone over 62 and the other for $10 more at the CAA/AAA rate. We found the rates through their website and then called to book.

Ciana:)

We just did a Celebrity Mercury cruise back in January. There is a Hampton Inn about a mile from the Pier, also a Days Inn a little further away. Hampton's are usually nice, not fancy though. The Pier is only about 3 miles South of the Airport, so that is also an optional area to look. Little Italy is a short walk from either hotel listed above as well as other options for eating. We took the Trolly Tour of San Diego one afternoon, you can get off and on as you please and it goes to Old Town, Coronado, etc.

Enjoy

Dennis G

Archived