Any Suggestions for WIFI on Allure to Stay in Touch?

TonyFred

So I plan on getting the unlimited WIFI package on the Allure.

Normally I text to stay in touch with people back home but the bill can get outrageous pretty quickly. (I have to stay in touch with work and family)

Any suggestions on alternate ways to communicate back and forth using WIFI other than email? Looking for a way to chat back and forth in real time, similar to texting.

I use a Samsung smart phone by the way.

We had the unlimited pkg on Allure a few weeks ago--it was great, connectivity was robust and never went down (to our knowledge). You have several WiFi options for real time communications with people back home,including: (1) if you use an iPhone, then iMessage with all other iPhone users, (2) in any event, use a free/almost free WiFi based text messaging service like Google Voice, Viber, WhatsApp, etc. (set up and test before you travel), and (3) Skype (voice and video work). FYI we didn't test Face Time.

Have a fabulous week!

I had no problem with the WIFI on board the Oasis to use my iPad. On shore, you can probably run into a number of local cafes/restaurants that have free WIFI. Well, sometimes. Depends on where you go.

My advice? Put the WIFI-enabled device down and enjoy the cruise.

I had no problem with the WIFI on board the Oasis to use my iPad. On shore, you can probably run into a number of local cafes/restaurants that have free WIFI. Well, sometimes. Depends on where you go.

My advice? Put the WIFI-enabled device down and enjoy the cruise.

Thanks for the advice, but trust me, I enjoy my cruises even if I do stay in touch with the real world back home!

Onboard Allure now. $179 for unlimited wifi.

Needed it for work and kids back home.

Skype works great.

Can stream music ( I use Slacker)

I found that the photos I have taken thus far after SLOW to upload to photostream ( if using an iDevice). FaceTime doesn't work. Maybe they have photostream limited as well.

My photos have uploaded to Dropbox though.

Wife uses it for Facebook and uploading photos. No issues at all.

Archived