Hurricane Dennis

i am extremely worried, we are leaving on the NOS this saturday. I hope that we leave sat as scheduled

Suzanne

Even if you're going to the Western Carib, you should be sailing behind the storm, not in it's path - unless it slows down or changes from the forecasted path.

I Am Really Worried We Are Cruising For The First Time With Our Two Kids, We Booked This Cruise Last September. Hope The Navigator Dep Scheduled For Saturday Will Be Ok We Are Flying Into Miami That Morning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope that the NOS comes back as planned this Sat morning from the Eastern, I am sure that there will be some delays in departure on Sat waiting for flights etc. We fly in Friday night, so I am hoping the weather is ok.

Suzanne

Everyone here is starting to worry...and no, we aren't worried about missing our ship. More concerned about being in the path of a cat 3 hurricane. Doesn't look as though it is headed straight for Tampa, but they can never predict these things anyway. It's when it isn't predicted to make landfall directly on my area that I worry. While I hope that everyone makes their cruises please keep all of us Floridians in mind, who may be impacted by another devastating hurricane!

Everyone here is starting to worry...and no, we aren't worried about missing our ship. More concerned about being in the path of a cat 3 hurricane. Doesn't look as though it is headed straight for Tampa, but they can never predict these things anyway. It's when it isn't predicted to make landfall directly on my area that I worry. While I hope that everyone makes their cruises please keep all of us Floridians in mind, who may be impacted by another devastating hurricane!

You have to keep in mind that the error cone size has been increased this year, because of what happened with Charley. So I'd say there is a good chance this will head more to the west, and probably more to the direction that Cindy went.

That's my call anyway.;) :)

Please, it's the "Cone of Uncertainty", lol

LOL, well, I am not in the "cone of uncertainty", LOL but after last year, it's going to take a lot more than this to put me on edge. I had both Frances, and Jeanne as guest last year. Messy houseguest.;) :rolleyes:

Wishing you west coasters all the best.:)

LOL - We had the cat 1 remains of Francis and Jeanne last year. I was in Orlando in the middle of Charley though! I would never do that again. Not to mention, I have good friends in Punta GOrda and Port Charlotte. After I saw what happened to their places I think I will always worry about the hurricanes!

LOL - We had the cat 1 remains of Francis and Jeanne last year. I was in Orlando in the middle of Charley though! I would never do that again. Not to mention, I have good friends in Punta GOrda and Port Charlotte. After I saw what happened to their places I think I will always worry about the hurricanes!

I had to go to Port Charlotte the day after the Hurricane, to help out a friend. Traffic was unbelieveable too. Just terrible over there. Little did I know at that time, I would be dealing with the same mess a month or so later. And twice at that.(all the while, I was in a wheel chair:rolleyes: ) I was really lucky though, no damage to my house at all, not even a shingle, screen, etc. Just a couple of what I call pencil trees, otherwise known as Italian Junipers. They fell over, but I put them back up.

BUT, I happened to be on the NE side of the community, so I did not take the brunt of the winds, so people in front of my house took quite a hit. Lots of roof tops, about 200 BIG trees, fences, trees on screen houses, etc. It looked like a war zone for a long time. Now, it looks great, but I do miss the big trees that lined the entrance. They were really old, and I doubt they will replace them.

We'll just have to be well prepared this year. I did buy a generator, even though I was only without power for 3 days, it was miserable.

I did buy a generator, even though I was only without power for 3 days, it was miserable.

Glad to hear things are getting back to normal up there! I was fortunate to only loose power for a few hours at home, but that seemed like an eternity in the heat.

I had to go to Port Charlotte the day after the Hurricane, to help out a friend. Traffic was unbelieveable too. Just terrible over there. Little did I know at that time, I would be dealing with the same mess a month or so later. And twice at that.(all the while, I was in a wheel chair:rolleyes: ) I was really lucky though, no damage to my house at all, not even a shingle, screen, etc. Just a couple of what I call pencil trees, otherwise known as Italian Junipers. They fell over, but I put them back up.

BUT, I happened to be on the NE side of the community, so I did not take the brunt of the winds, so people in front of my house took quite a hit. Lots of roof tops, about 200 BIG trees, fences, trees on screen houses, etc. It looked like a war zone for a long time. Now, it looks great, but I do miss the big trees that lined the entrance. They were really old, and I doubt they will replace them.

We'll just have to be well prepared this year. I did buy a generator, even though I was only without power for 3 days, it was miserable.

My sister lives in Vero Beach and they got hit twice last year. Both times they were without power for up to two weeks and lost their screen cage around their pool. They are still on a wait list to have that replaced. Will be sometime next year.

I lived in Florida for over forty years and only experienced one hurricane and two tropical storms. I hate to see anyone get the storms but if they have to hit someone I think that the folks west of Gulfport Mississippi needs the visits this year and give the Florida folks a break.

My sister lives in Vero Beach and they got hit twice last year. Both times they were without power for up to two weeks and lost their screen cage around their pool. They are still on a wait list to have that replaced. Will be sometime next year.

I lived in Florida for over forty years and only experienced one hurricane and two tropical storms. I hate to see anyone get the storms but if they have to hit someone I think that the folks west of Gulfport Mississippi needs the visits this year and give the Florida folks a break.

Gordon, yes, I wanted to get my screen replaced, because some of it is sun rotted, like you could blow on it, and it would rip, but they said that it's a 7 month wait at least. So, if I get hit this year, I know the screens will be one. I have the same type of screen house as your sister does, and they are not cheap. Just for the top a few years ago, 2 sections, was $700.0...and I don't even want to know now what the total cost would be to replace the whole screened parts.......let's just hope we catch a break this year.

Gordon, yes, I wanted to get my screen replaced, because some of it is sun rotted, like you could blow on it, and it would rip, but they said that it's a 7 month wait at least. So, if I get hit this year, I know the screens will be one. I have the same type of screen house as your sister does, and they are not cheap. Just for the top a few years ago, 2 sections, was $700.0...and I don't even want to know now what the total cost would be to replace the whole screened parts.......let's just hope we catch a break this year.

I think that my sister said the cost is going to be somewhere around $5000 to $6000.00 bucks as they also have to replace the framing and all. It took the whole thing down into the pool. I told her the good news with it taking so long is that this years hurricane season will be over by the time it gets repaired.

YES!!! We're much more prepared this year than last...but still don't want to deal with it! It's very stressful...we've been watching each update and are hoping that it doesn't head our way. Even if it stays on the projected path...we'll be on the East side of the storm...which is always the worst! Let's keep our fingers crossed and say a little prayer!

My prayers are with anyone in the path of a hurricane. Years ago I was in Jamaica when Hurricane Gilbert (cat 5) slammed into the island. What was terrifying was that one minute it wasn't so bad and the next minute roofs were flying and it had intensified literally in seconds. The winds blew the glass patio doors in, picked up everything in the room and the force blew everything into the hall and across into the room across the way. The island was devastated and still hasn't fully recovered. We were fortunate that no one in our party was injured.

The people there don't have the support systems the way we are fortunate enough to have in the states. We saw one poor woman, busy sweeping, all she had left was a stoop and the house behind her was total rubble, all her animals were lying dead. You could see she was shellshocked. I know there have been many posts about the aggressiveness of the vendors in Jamaica, but I think in many quarters they are quite desperate. Its just a shame that the drug trade got such a foothold there and the government doesn't seem to be able to contain it. I hope they can get their act together before the tourism industry is decimated.

Here in SW FLA we are keeping a wary eye on Dennis and praying for a westerly track. I was extremely fortunate last year and hope my luck holds again this year. Last yr was our first in Fl having moved here in May. Not a very warm welcome to newcomers.

Unless you saw it firsthand, it is hard to imagine the devastation a storm can bring. It was heartbreaking to see what some folks had lost. Sometimes it is the tornadoes spawned by the hurricane that really do a lot of damage. We are in a mobile home community and two houses were completely destroyed while the houses next door had no damage at all. Houses on either side of us lost their carports while we escaped with no damage at all, thank heaven.

So, say a prayer for all of us Floridians and those living on the Gulf coast, that we can dodge the bullet this year.

Archived