Caps on Men

I've seen it on a few threads where it's suggested men don't wear caps so they won't stick out like a sore American.

Me (and probably a few others) are getting a little thin up top and would just as soon not get skin cancer on my scalp. On hot summer days I need some kind of covering on my head.

Suggestions? Anyone who's been to the Baltics, what are men wearing on their heads? :cool:

I'm curious to see what is posted about caps...my DH and I were in Spain a couple of years ago and visited Gibraltar where DH purchased a cap with Gibraltar and the Union Jack (British flag) printed on it. He later wore it in Spain and was asked by our tour guide to please remove it...too political! But I personally don't see a problem with a plain hat...we stick out like tourists no matter what we wear....see the thread on women's sneakers! And we are tourists....the main thing is not to be obnoxious in our behavior...what we wear, IMHO, is secondary.

My husband always wears his favorite caps when we are on vacations so he doesn't get sunburned and to keep the sun out of his eyes.

Mare, I never heard of a tour person telling someone not to wear a ballcap because it is too political. That takes a lot of nerve. I hope he told her to stick it in her eye!

Hawaiian Eye, wear whatever you are comfortable in. Be a proud Amercian tourist! :) Have a good time!

Of course, I do think men should take the caps/hats off inside of restaurants, museums and churches, like in the old days. My father always took his hat off inside of any building or whenever saying the Pledge of Allegiance. (One of my pet peeves is men wearing hats inside buildings, especially in a restaurant.)

Ginny

Thanks for the responses.

Bum Phillips said that his Momma taught him to never wear a hat indoors. Seems to be a good thought to keep in mind.

I found a plain blue nylon ball cap on Ebay. No logos. :cool:

Two suggestions for a hat. We returned from the Baltics in June and my Dad fit right in with the Europeans with his tweed cap (I can only describe it as quintessentially English-they used to call them driving caps).Though it has a small bill, it doesn't give too much sun protection. If the weather is hot, though, it wouldn't be appropriate. If you are a casual dresser and normally sport baseball caps, you could get what my husband wears: a Tillie's hat,- the Australian canvas hat with grommets and a chin strap. (You can order online). It offers sun protection that is far superior to a cap with only a bill in front, and you won't look like an American. And it's perfect for Hawaii, where we live,too.

I think I used to have a Tillies hat. Good idea. I'm also mulling the thought of buying a beret in Copenhagen before the trip. Seems they're not just for Frenchmen. Some old photos of Russia in the 40's showed a lot of men wearing berets.

Maybe a nice Pirate swashbuckler's hat with a giant feather !

Well, maybe not that far out. :cool:

Archived