DANCING ON THE QM2 -- September Update

Slow Foxtrot

You really have got the wrong end of the stick! Where does anyone on these boards say that Americans are considered obnoxious dancers? And why are you guessing that American dancers don't have a clue that they are unworthy? Sadly, your comments are uninformed and certainly unhelpful and show your total lack of knowledge of the accepted modus operandi of a social dance floor.

Far from being 'obnoxious dancers' you may well be surprised to know that the current world champion professional ballroom dancers represent the USA !!!! And they have been champions for the past four years. Anyone who knows the first thing about ballroom dancing knows that America has some top class ballroom dancers. Mind you, before you get carried away, in the past 90 years England has had more world ballroom champions than all the other countries put together!!Quote

I don't think that Americans are obnoxious dancers.....I got the impression from your comments that you did. You are correct...I am uninformed and should not have started posting on this thread. But I do feel that all passengers are entitled to enjoy the QR.....not just the ones that are up to your standards. The wrong end of the stick?? Yep, but I pay my passage the same as you and I do adhere to the social graces on board.

Far from being 'obnoxious dancers' you may well be surprised to know that the current world champion professional ballroom dancers represent the USA !!!! And they have been champions for the past four years. Anyone who knows the first thing about ballroom dancing knows that America has some top class ballroom dancers. Mind you, before you get carried away, in the past 90 years England has had more world ballroom champions than all the other countries put together!!

Foxy

Foxy-I think that's one of those tongue in cheek compliments you Brits are famous for. We both know that Arunuas Bizokas & Katusha Demidova are not home grown.

(PS-If you ever get the chance, dance with Katusha. We used to take lessons from her and Jonathan years ago. It's amazing.)

You are correct...I am uninformed and should not have started posting on this thread. But I do feel that all passengers are entitled to enjoy the QR.....not just the ones that are up to your standards. The wrong end of the stick?? Yep, but I pay my passage the same as you and I do adhere to the social graces on board.

Everyone agrees that all passengers are entitled to enjoy the dancing in the Queens Room. There's no question about that, and being a good dancer has nothing to do with it. No-one said it had! And I am sure that you adhere to all the rules and the social graces on board the ship. That's what Cunard is all about. However, as Tangoll pointed out, just as there are rules for dress codes and rules for the use of swimming pools and rules for countless other pastimes and activities, there is an accepted code of practice (whether one is a good or a novice dancer) on a social dance floor. This benefits everybody. It's as simple as that. Having danced many times on the excellent dance floor of P & O's Oriana there is never a problem in this respect. But that is all 'international style' dancing as danced in the UK and countless other countries. America has many of its own styles of dance that are unknown in the UK and as QM2 often has mostly British and American passengers it's then that these differences show up on the dance floor.

What is needed is a good MC who knows about dancing, knows how to run a smooth dance, and ensures that all dancers both competent and novice are catered for.

May I wish all you good people a very Happy Christmas!

Foxy

Foxy-I think that's one of those tongue in cheek compliments you Brits are famous for. We both know that Arunuas Bizokas & Katusha Demidova are not home grown.

(PS-If you ever get the chance, dance with Katusha. We used to take lessons from her and Jonathan years ago. It's amazing.)

Ha, Ha, Ha, I'll grant you that names like Arunas Bizokas and Katusha Demidova are not typically American but you have to admit that many Americans have funny names. Nevertheless, they do dance for America and that's what goes in the record books.

Gosh, I'd certainly love to dance (or anything else) with Katusha. I'll give her a ring and see if she's free. However, I fear that even the beautiful Katusha would make her excuses when faced with the exigencies of the Queens Ballroom on Black & White night.

Foxy

Slow Foxtrot.....your point is well taken, thank you for taking the time with your response. I actually do know about dance floor etiquette which is why I don't usually insert myself on the dance floor. I totally agree with your last post and that should be agreeable for everyone.

A Happy Christmas to you as well. :)

I don't want to throw gasoline on the fire, but it should be pointed out that the current world ballroom dance champions, although representing the United States, we're born and trained in Russia and Lithuania respectively. As with all "world" ballroom championships, the International Style is danced rather than American Smooth style.

I don't want to throw gasoline on the fire, but it should be pointed out that the current world ballroom dance champions, although representing the United States, we're born and trained in Russia and Lithuania respectively. As with all "world" ballroom championships, the International Style is danced rather than American Smooth style.

Yes Bob, both Q-step and myself are both aware that Arunas and Katusha are not quite as American as apple pie but they do represent America in the World Championships (don't ask me how). Admittedly, it's nice to win with a home-grown couple but you can't have everything.

Foxy

Yes Bob, both Q-step and myself are both aware that Arunas and Katusha are not quite as American as apple pie but they do represent America in the World Championships (don't ask me how). Admittedly, it's nice to win with a home-grown couple but you can't have everything.

Foxy

I was just trying to underline that the type of ballroom dancing in the world championships is International Style (not American Smooth) even if the winning dancers were representing USA. We don't see very many International Style dancers on our land based ballroom floors here in Midwest USA. It probably wouldn't hurt for us Americans amateur dancers to take a couple of lessons in International style :)

Bob

Cheeky Question: As we're a bit younger than a reasonable number of people who sail on QM2.

As time goes on, in say 20/30 years time do you think that there will be people in the Queen's Room doing the Running Man while the Band plays Utah Saints or other 90s/00s music?

Or do you think that the really "old school classics" as my generation would call them will stand the test of time?

Having said that. I can't do the Running Man now, let alone when I'll be in my 60s!

... We don't see very many International Style dancers on our land based ballroom floors here in Midwest USA. It probably wouldn't hurt for us Americans amateur dancers to take a couple of lessons in International style :) ..Bob

Everyone has their own view on what is their favourite dance but after seeing many different styles of dancing I have yet to see anything more stylish and graceful than the International Slow Foxtrot and Waltz when performed by top competition dancers.

As you say, why not take a couple of lessons in International style - you may have a damascene conversion!:) Incidentally, you'll find the International Slow Foxtrot the hardest dance to master.

Foxy

Everyone has their own view on what is their favourite dance but after seeing many different styles of dancing I have yet to see anything more stylish and graceful than the International Slow Foxtrot and Waltz when performed by top competition dancers.

As you say, why not take a couple of lessons in International style - you may have a damascene conversion!:) Incidentally, you'll find the International Slow Foxtrot the hardest dance to master.

Foxy

Arunas and Katushka are wonderful dancers. At the same time so are Slawek Sochacki and Marzena Stachura, the reigning American Smooth World Professional Champions.

I appreciate the elegance and grace of traditional International Standard, but more so I admire the independence required in American Smooth.

I have heard that Slow Foxtrot is the most difficult and it was recommended to me that I learn that first. As I said, I'm planning to take private lessons on the worldie. I'll probably focus a bit more on Latin, however, since it will both A.) Improve my Rhythm technique and B) Is a style that I actually actively compete.

As you say, why not take a couple of lessons in International style - you may have a damascene conversion!:) Incidentally, you'll find the International Slow Foxtrot the hardest dance to master. Foxy

Foxy, interesting use of the phrase "damascene conversion". I had to look that up to learn that it means a "complete change in one's belief".

The best video I have seen on doing the feather step in foxtrot

The best explanation given me on why foxtrot is the hardest dance to master was by a young English male instructor, who said, "In foxtrot, there are not many instances where one's feet come together to allow one to readjust your feet and body to the beat of the music. Your feet are constantly in motion and moving separately from each other." And then all the other difficult aspects of ballroom dance -- CBM, rise and fall, inside/outside, slow-quick/quick-slow, etc -- are all interwoven with each other.

.....I have heard that Slow Foxtrot is the most difficult and it was recommended to me that I learn that first. As I said, I'm planning to take private lessons on the worldie....

Are you on the QM2 for the World Cruise? If so (and if they are still on) the professional dancers are Wilfried and Ilona. They are a German couple so I believe but have good English and they performed an excellent Slow Foxtrot demonstration on our cruise last month. Obviously they cannot teach the International Slow Foxtrot in their group tuition but if you can arrange private tuition with them I'm sure you will enjoy the challenge. He's quite dishy so you'd better behave yourself :)

Foxy

Are you on the QM2 for the World Cruise? If so (and if they are still on) the professional dancers are Wilfried and Ilona. They are a German couple so I believe but have good English and they performed an excellent Slow Foxtrot demonstration on our cruise last month. Obviously they cannot teach the International Slow Foxtrot in their group tuition but if you can arrange private tuition with them I'm sure you will enjoy the challenge. He's quite dishy so you'd better behave yourself :)

Foxy

I'm on the QE, actually. My thinking was that if I was going to do a world voyage I wanted to actually sail the full way around the world, since I can't be certain when (if ever) I'll have the money to do something like this again! I'd like to try out the QM2 at some point. Though likely I would travel on her out of NYC.

I was on QM2 last month from NY to Quebec city. As Foxy pointed out, the floor was very crowded during 9:30 to 11 PM. If you go early and if there is no sequence dance, it would not be so bad. We took private lessons from Winfried at 8 AM in the morning, we had the whole floor to ourselves.

Would the price be double for two people? I've seen some lessons taking place but they were small group lessons......is there a charge for those as well? On Celebrity they used to give complimentry group lessons and the floor was jam packed....but those were not for ballroom dancing.

I was on QM2 TA crossing in late June, and private lessons with Nadya and Volodymyr was US$60 per 30 minutes; both of them attended, and I am a male solo. If you book 5 lessons, the 6th one is complementary (free).

That's expensive, don't you think? $60 or $70 for an hour would be a fair price.

Would the price be double for two people? I've seen some lessons taking place but they were small group lessons......is there a charge for those as well? On Celebrity they used to give complimentry group lessons and the floor was jam packed....but those were not for ballroom dancing.

On Cunard (and P & O) the group dance tuition (as announced in the daily programme) is free of charge. On a cruise of a decent length this will include instruction on most of the international ballroom and latin dances. For obvious reasons only the basic steps are taught but it's enough to get a couple going around the dance floor.

I tend to agree with Whitemarsh that a charge of $60 for thirty minutes of private tuition is a little on the high side. Of course, if the instruction is by a top professional and Cunard's cut is built into this price then that's a different matter.

Foxy

Of course, if the instruction is by a top professional and Cunard's cut is built into this price then that's a different matter.

Foxy

That makes total sense. I've only noticed the group lessons a few times on the way to some little function held in G32, but they were always small groups which I thought was ideal. I think it's nice that they accommodate those who just want to improve on the basics. I also noticed that the instructors were very patient. :)

Thinking again about Tangoll's charge of $60 for 30 minutes private dance tuition by the QM2's dance - professionals; one has to take into account the fact that Tangoll was a solo dancer and therefore probably needed the attention of both the dance professionals. If this had been a couple then they would only need the attention of one of the professionals which should reduce the price. That's the norm in the UK. And if the cost was split between lady and gentleman then private lessons would appear much better value to a couple than a solo dancer.

Foxy

Thinking again about Tangoll's charge of $60 for 30 minutes private dance tuition by the QM2's dance - professionals; one has to take into account the fact that Tangoll was a solo dancer and therefore probably needed the attention of both the dance professionals. If this had been a couple then they would only need the attention of one of the professionals which should reduce the price. That's the norm in the UK. And if the cost was split between lady and gentleman then private lessons would appear much better value to a couple than a solo dancer.

Foxy

The main reason I take private lessons on board Cunard cruises is that I can observe how competent the professional couple are as dancers and instructors from the free group lessons that I attend on the first sea day. If I think competent, I book them usually for every sea day; lesson in the afternoon, then immediate practice in the evening dances. On this last cruise, I basically just did samba, but by now, back home in Hong Kong, I can do a passable samba on the dance floor. So my samba lessons cost me US$300.

I doubt if Cunard takes a cut of the income to the professional dance couple for private tuition. But Cunard does provide free space for the couple to give lessons either in the Queens Room or the night club when not used for other functions. Does anyone know what is the deal between Cunard and the dance couple? I know they have an inside cabin, and other duties during the cruise, such as during drills, manning gift award shop at the end of the cruise, etc.

Comparing taking lessons in Hong Kong, cost of private tuition can vary from US$40 to $100 per hour, but most now define an hour as 45 minutes. A visiting top professional instructor can charge US$200 per 45 min hour and still get fully booked the whole day.

However, taking lessons on land may mean you take a couple of lessons a week, but may not do much practice at home, or any dancing during the week, and so by the next week, you've forgotten everything taught the previous week, and repeat the same things, over and over. The total cost to get you to a decent level probably exceeds US$500 per dance learnt.

That's how I view the value to me of taking private dance lessons on board Cunard ships. Even from the free group lessons I will pick up one or two tips on the basic steps of the dances taught. But the value of the group lessons to me is that many attendees will see my dance skill and later in the evening dances, will approach me to dance with them (or their spouse if a male approaches me). I also get to meet all the dance hosts who can tell I am able to do most of the dances, and later will steer capable lady dancers to me.

Dancer Bob, who knows me well, can vouch for the veracity of what I have said about the value of group classes.

Okay, I hate asking this but I don't understand. Why does a single require both instructors? Would you do the breakdown again. Why does a couple require only one......does that mean one each? I did see a couple where they were each with an instructor but then it focused on the couple together. Sorry for all the questions but you've gotten me interested after all the talking about precision.

Okay, I hate asking this but I don't understand. Why does a single require both instructors? Would you do the breakdown again. Why does a couple require only one......does that mean one each? I did see a couple where they were each with an instructor but then it focused on the couple together. Sorry for all the questions but you've gotten me interested after all the talking about precision.

On a cruise with Petr and Roxana Samoila on QE, Roxana only to take me on a solo basis, and she taught me the male steps in both tango and foxtrot, and she danced the female part when we practiced the steps together.

On this QM2 cruise with Nadya and Volodymyr, the male Volodymyr taught me the male steps and Nadya danced with me when we practiced the steps.

On other cruises where I travelled with a female partner, sometimes just the male instructor and sometimes just the female instructor would teach us as a couple.

It all depends on the instructor and what they feel is the best combination.

Archived