good excursion with kids to get a real taste of mexico?

meab

we'll be in cozumel in a few weeks, and i'm still trying to figure out what to do with the kids ashore. typically we just stay on the ship and enjoy the quiet when everyone else gets off. but this time, i was thinking maybe we can try something ashore that will give my kids a good mexican experience.

we are not interested in the beach, or water park - we have that at home (and on the ship!). the mayan ruins in tulum (the all-day trip) are out, because one of my kids gets motion sickness. also, it is a long day, and my younger kids are 4 and 5. anyways, the cruise line excursion minimum age is 5, so we're not even eligible!

i saw an excursion that visits San Gervasio, a tequila factory (no samples for the kids of course!), the Discover Mexico cultural park, and a private fiesta. but for our family of 6, it's coming out a little pricier than I might have liked...and I'm just not so sure if it's easy to do that kind of tour on your own.

Any ideas?

I would check into the Dune Buggy tour. It's a group tour in which you follow the leader, but with a family of four you will have your own buggy, head to some cool beaches, maybe through the jungle, eat a home made lunch on the beach, etc. We had a blast a few years ago. I believe they are still doing it, but don't know what the company is anymore. We stopped and they picked up a small boa constrictor that had just eaten and we got to hold it, we drove on the beaches and were able to swim a little at one stop. It was great to see quite a bit of the island. We also stopped at a market in the middle of the island somewhere away from the touristy stuff. Pretty cool day in our opinion.

i will look into the dune buggy tour. i also should have mentioned we are a family of 6 - 2 adults and 4 kids. so i dont' think we could be in one buggy, but maybe we could do one adult with 2 kids in one, and one adult and the other 2 kids in the other buggy?

we'll be in cozumel in a few weeks, and i'm still trying to figure out what to do with the kids ashore. typically we just stay on the ship and enjoy the quiet when everyone else gets off. but this time, i was thinking maybe we can try something ashore that will give my kids a good mexican experience.

we are not interested in the beach, or water park - we have that at home (and on the ship!). the mayan ruins in tulum (the all-day trip) are out, because one of my kids gets motion sickness. also, it is a long day, and my younger kids are 4 and 5. anyways, the cruise line excursion minimum age is 5, so we're not even eligible!

i saw an excursion that visits San Gervasio, a tequila factory (no samples for the kids of course!), the Discover Mexico cultural park, and a private fiesta. but for our family of 6, it's coming out a little pricier than I might have liked...and I'm just not so sure if it's easy to do that kind of tour on your own.

Any ideas?

you can check the hiring a driver for the day tread, this way you can choose which places you want to visit (ruins, tequila history tour, local food, etc ) there are some free places and this is a good way to visit those places

this is the link to the tread

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=40110492#post40110492

thanks for sharing that thread. it is very long, and a little overwhelming. but i will definitely consider a private driver. i am almost wondering, though, if the tour from the cruise line will turn out to be reasonably priced as compared to private driver + individual entrance fees. it's definitely something to consider though!

Whatever you decide - you definitely need to get off the ship at Cozumel! Its a great island to explore! Your kids would love it. Even if you have waterparks & beaches at home, it doesn't mean it would be the same in Cozumel. The water here there is just beautiful.

I believe I've read where there is a crocodile farm down by the lighthouse. If you did the hire-a-driver for the day, you could ask to be taken there. The other side of the island is beautiful, uninhabited island. Its great to visit over on that side.

Archived