Another Allure Review ~ 9/22/2013

flyawayca

Oops....it's cabin 12729.... Last one on the starboard side....

How was the noise? Is that a deal breaker or would you book it again? What bout the long walk to different areas?

Sent from my XT1080

WE had that cabin on our April 28th cruise. Loved it, Great cabin. Its 100 yards back from the elevator though if you are mobility impaired.

The Flow Riders can be found on Deck 15 Aft. One on Starboard side, one on Port side.

Fill out your waiver electronically before you board. You will get a wristband after you check-in you keep on your wrist so you can then just line up whenever you want to use it.

One Flow Rider was used for the boogie board. The other is for stand up.

My husband tried the stand up. It was his first time using a Flow Rider and he really enjoyed it. Some of the sports staff were more helpful than others with how they assisted with tips and tricks to stay up longer.

I've been reading that RCI has loosened their stance on doing tricks. When I was watching people there were a few who were really good. They did 360s and weaved all over the Flow Rider. I don't know the names of the stunts, but I saw them do some neat things. I never did see anyone's feet leave the board though, well, other than when they were falling. :D

The lines could get really long. Be prepared to wait in the hot sun, and wear some sun screen. The shortest wait I ever saw was first thing in the morning and while the ship was in Labadee.

I saw a lady on here who had to have at least been in her 60s. She did great!

090de7f7-c246-403d-be98-33fe19fcfb4e.jpg

Edited by flyawayca

The zip line can be found on Deck 15 Aft. It's located between the flow riders.

The zip line is free!

You need to have a waiver for this as well as the flow rider and ice skating.

The zip line is pretty short. But for free why not try it? Sports staff are there to help you out.

The line moves pretty quick as well.

Here are a few views:

5f94ef57-30dc-4c9d-8b09-caeb097480f5.jpg

a43eba89-bc4b-4a7c-970b-d8508f5ec4c4.jpg

b548db89-c70b-4f9c-8da4-9fad69454f5b.jpg

Edited by flyawayca

This was all of our first trip to Labadee, Haiti.

It was also mine and my husband's first time on a private island.

It was a very beautiful island. Well, at least the part RCI lets us see. ;)

Here is the entrance from the ship. It is kind of a long pier to walk down.

50065a5d-e725-441e-9d4c-27b6347e8772.jpg

Signs everywhere telling you where you are.

b81fb0ab-a2b9-4744-9ddd-ad21837268d8.jpg

fe14dfe8-6cb5-4e42-bf2c-614700c95381.jpg

Edited by flyawayca

In Labadee there is a tram that will drive you to the different beaches and shopping area.

There are tram stations located in all the main areas. It can get busy at times. Especially if you are trying to get on it at the starting point. This was mainly just in the morning though. As they day went on it evened out as people spread themselves across the beaches.

Basically the tram is a guy driving a tractor pulling the tram cars you sit in..

c2397067-8521-46bf-8911-80fcd79392bd.jpg

Edited by flyawayca

There are multiple beaches on Labadee.

The largest one is Adrenaline Beach. This is where you can see the people zip line over the ocean. It pretty neat. I loved watching the ones who either screamed or waved their whole way down.

You can see in this picture if you look closely the zip line going all the way up the side of the mountain.

6bb4afbe-c49b-486b-9f83-92e8d5db9c53.jpg

And some of the people zip lining..

6f00afd0-a550-4ea0-86df-0bbe3a194d8a.jpg

Here is Adrenaline Beach loaded with clam shells. I didn't get a clam shell for myself so I don't know how helpful they are. I'm sure they keep you in the shade but they might make things more humid.

34da363a-9582-4f4e-85dc-4d014701e376.jpg

Does anyone know what they are building back there? I saw them putting those wood things up while we were there. Hopefully its more shady places to sit under!

Remember you can buy anything (other than the items at the Artisan's Market) with your SeaPass card. This means your drinks, floating mats, etc. I did see cash exchange hands a few times. I wondered if some of the staff were pocketing the cash.

Edited by flyawayca

Another beach in Labadee is Columbus Cove.

Columbus Cove is the furthest away. Unless you like to walk in the humidity I recommend taking a tram. But it is a do-able walk.

This beach is where you want to go for good photographs. You have a perfect view of the ship. Makes for the perfect spot to pose and get pictures of the family and the ship.

02f4b2bb-ab6b-49c2-b3fb-b0930d73d1f0.jpg

As you can see in this next picture there is a ship photographer here as well. (He's in the picture above but unless I point him out you wouldn't have known it.)

This is great if you like to get those professional pictures.

65de12e2-2d8d-4701-bd9d-5ad27f6fa548.jpg

Edited by flyawayca

Lunch on Labadee is free.

They have buffets set up at each of the beaches and some of the beaches even have more than one location.

The food was good. The hamburgers were even better than what you get on the ship because they were actually grilled on a BBQ. There was also jerk chicken, ribs, corn, coleslaw, beans, and more.

de499cf6-d4a5-4d86-8e2a-53e04135b0e2.jpg

cfecf4c5-e14b-4ab7-b5c9-5c43d5110758.jpg

44928b70-0aaf-4f4e-8dda-44e9aa391b52.jpg

If you chose to stay on the ship, or return to the ship, for lunch keep in mind that there will be limited staff and lunch locations available on board. Most off the staff get off of the ship in Labadee because they work while in Labadee on the beaches.

Edited by flyawayca

Labadoozies... if you are 21 or older, get one! Or two! You can even get them virgin.

They are so good! I had heard people on CC talk about them. I decided to try one because I wasn't sure when I would be back to Labadee and I just like saying I had a Labadoozie. Yum!

You can find the bartenders carrying them around all day long. Or just go to the bar and grab one.

You even get to pick your souvenir cup color.

3778b38a-9e7e-4bdf-927e-71e8b0fad959.jpg

bbf46213-4558-41c9-b447-a56c62aac745.jpg

Edited by flyawayca

Some additional things to keep in mind when visiting Labadee...

The beaches are rocky. I recommend buying and wearing water shoes while you are here. It will save you a lot of pain.

Bring snorkeling gear! It was fun to just swim around and look at the fish. I saw all sorts of fish off of Adrenaline Beach. I didn't have a chance to try snorkeling at any of the other beaches.

The first big building at the Artisan's Market is for people who don't like high pressure sales. Here everything has a marked price. But, because of that there isn't really much haggling. Quick and easy to come in, look around, and buy a gift.

If you don't mind high pressure sales then continue on to all the small shops. But be prepared to be harassed by everyone. You probably can get better deals out here. People will be shoving stuff in your face, trying to etch your name into things, and placing jewelry on you. If you don't want it tell them no, hand them the items back or place them on the ground and move on.

And I have to give a big thanks to Gambee's review for pointing out the Barbancourt Pango Rhum. Oh my, it is amazing!! I'm not much of a drinker, but this stuff I can get hooked on. It is delicious. Based on his review I decided to try it out. It is possible to find in the states, but it isn't something you will find in a typical grocery store. And since it is real Haitian Rum I wanted to bring back something they made. It is worth it! They sell the rum in different flavors and sizes. Pick it up in the big no pressure sale building at the Artisans Market. Don't expect to have it handed to you. You pay for it, they keep it, you will get it the last day of the cruise.

And for some final Labadee pictures...

7db99457-01ae-46f7-bf9c-5a7dc18248d6.jpg

13fb5af7-7b20-4f5a-95d1-6b947263ae23.jpg

6efc0e76-be03-4459-ac87-cee4a881a6d2.jpg

Edited by flyawayca

Okay, I didn't get as much done as I wanted to today. Hopefully tomorrow I can go over my RCI excursion in Jamaica and my trip to Chankanaab :)

If anyone has any questions about anything or wants more details feel free to ask!!

Edited by flyawayca

I am absolutely loving your review. We go on our first cruise in April and are going on the Allure. Question for you? I saw from your review that deck 6 is the boardwalk we have a balcony room mid-ship, how do you the noise will be?

Also, if you ever head back to Boston instead of going to Mikes Pastry, go to Modern pastry instead. Mikes is a tourist trap but Modern is where all the locals go.. Lol

Besides the Chef's Table, is there any wine tasting events on the Allure? My wife would really like to try a wine tasting event. She just recently got into drinking wine and wants to try some different ones and learn about the wines.

Besides the Chef's Table, is there any wine tasting events on the Allure? My wife would really like to try a wine tasting event. She just recently got into drinking wine and wants to try some different ones and learn about the wines.

Yes, go to Vintages (Central Park) and they will tell you about any scheduled wine tastings. You can also have the servers in Vintages create your own personal wine tasting (called a flight) by telling them what you like. They will suggest a few different wines and pour 1oz of each for you to try.

I am absolutely loving your review. We go on our first cruise in April and are going on the Allure. Question for you? I saw from your review that deck 6 is the boardwalk we have a balcony room mid-ship, how do you the noise will be?

Also, if you ever head back to Boston instead of going to Mikes Pastry, go to Modern pastry instead. Mikes is a tourist trap but Modern is where all the locals go.. Lol

I don't think you will have a problem with any noise. The Boardwalk is actually a very quiet place a majority of the time. The only time there is much noise is during an Aqua Theater show. In the mornings and late at night there are few people there. The lido deck actually is where it is the loudest - especially when the teen party is going on late at night.

Modern was my choice number two to try when we went to Boston. I'll make sure to try it next time we go. Lucky for us Mike's was completely empty when we went so we had the whole store. I heard it isn't usually like that. But, it was good. But Modern it is next time - hoping to be back in Boston in 2015 when we do another New England cruise :D

Hi

Great review

Can you tell me is there any restrictions on the Zip line. My 10 year old would love a go, but I assumed he would be too young/small?

Clarea posted a link which shows the sign with requirements. Age doesn't really have a factor, it comes down to height and weight. Hopefully he can try it :)

Clarea posted a little about options for wine tasting.

But on top of that, I just took a peak at my Cruise Compasses.. It looks like every night at 10PM they had scheduled wine flights. Each one with a different theme such as "Grab me a cab", "You bet Shiraz", "Pure Opulance" and some more.

As well as the scheduled wine flights I noticed some wine tasting offered during the day on sea days. One is "Vive La France" at Vintages. Another is a wine and cheese tasting at 150 Central Park. The day time ones seemed to vary in times, so keep an eye on your cruise compass :D

I just realized you said FIRST cruise! Get ready for the addiction to begin!! And you are spoiling yourself starting on such a large ship. All I ever think about is cruising. No other type of vacation exists in my mind anymore. lol. Now when I want to see a city I just add to to the beginning or end of my cruises :D It does help that all my favorite US cities are cruise ports.. NOLA, Boston, NYC, Seattle being my top 4 cities in America.

Thank you so much for your detailed cruise review of the Allure. We are doing a B2B in January and after reading your reviews I feel like I already know the ship and what it has to offer. Thanks again the review and pics are absolutely great.