new to cruising

Niki Herts

Hi my name is Niki and at Christmas I am going on my first cruise with my Aunt and Uncle and their two sons. We are going on the Cunard Elizabeth around the med for 14 nights departing Southampton on 23rd December.

My cousins are about four years younger than me. We are all new to cruising and although I am excited to be going I have a number of questions about what to expect. Any answers to these questions would be great :)

1. Will there be many people my age on board. I am 17 and don't think I will be hanging out with my cousins or Uncle and Aunt much.

2. Will it be stuffy for someone my age and will there be much for me to do

3. I understand that there will be formal and semi formal nights. What does this mean? What should I pack and wear during the day and on these evenings?

4. Will it be rough at sea?

I know these are probably silly questions for you seasoned cruisers however i truly don't know what to expect

Thanks everyone

Niki from Herts UK:)

Niki

How lovely that you are taking your first cruise on the QE and at Christmas. I am also on this trip with my family but my granddaughters will be on 9 and 4. I would think that probably there will not be many more than 100 people who are under the age of 18, but just being afloat at Christmas with all the festivities is wonderful.

Regarding your dress: I am sure you will feel very comfortable in something short or long for the formal nights, and you will not feel at all out of place unless you make no effort with the dress code. On our trip to Norway in August on the QE, teenagers all dressed as to the fashion of their age and it was a delight to see them in the restaurant in the evenings.

As for the sea conditions ... Who knows! It is winter after all, but could either be flat calm or we have a winter storm. Just don't worry about it. There will be plenty to do, but whether you like all of what is on offer remains to be seen! Everyone to their own.

On this site, please do look at the section headed up Cunard Roll Calls, and join the one for this trip. Not many on there, but you will find people who enjoy company and no doubt give you some tips that you can pass on to your family.

I hope I have the opportunity of meeting you, and enjoy the build up to this trip.

Regards

Niki-sorry to say we will not be on this trip, but I just wanted to tell you my 2 kids (17 and 15) both adored their time on QM2 and are constantly pestering as to when we are doing it again- I'm sure you will enjoy it x

Archived