Duty Free cigarettes onboard Cunard ships?

LouisRoederer

For what it's worth, my QM2 "Duty Free Prices" handout from 2009 says: Superkings Black $50, Superkings Blue $50. (In fact, all the "Cigarettes 400's" were $50, and all the "Cigarettes 200's" were $30.) At the bottom is printed "ALL TOBACCO ORDERS WILL BE DELIVERED TO YOUR STATEROOM ON THE LAST DAY OF YOUR VOYAGE." The store and bars (at least the Commodore Club in July 2013) sell single packs but I don't know at what price.

I do not smoke myself but need to get some information for someone travelling with me. Does anyone know the prices for Superkings onboard? Also if you buy your allowance to take home can you also get more to smoke during the cruise? Any info much appreciated.

It used to be that you could purchase them anytime, then the last time I tried to buy cigarettes on board, they were only available for delivery on the last day. Since then I've heard where they've had one day specials where they could be brought to the cabin. I don't think you can have a set plan since they seem to change the rules from voyage to voyage. :confused:

I do not smoke myself but need to get some information for someone travelling with me. Does anyone know the prices for Superkings onboard? Also if you buy your allowance to take home can you also get more to smoke during the cruise? Any info much appreciated.

Hi there

Have a look here:

https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/life-on-board/duty_free

Superkings are priced at $30 for 200 and $50 for 400.

And yes, you can buy to smoke onboard.

andhow

Hi Louis. When I was on board QM2 in July and again last month, it was possible to purchase cigarettes and take them away at the time of purchase. I remember also that last month, there was a "special offer" of 15% off cig and liquor purchases made the first and second day of sailing. (Liquor purchases to be picked up from the shop on the next to last day of the voyage - just be sure to save your receipt.)

Of course, during port days the shops on board are closed, but it is possible to buy a pack of cigarettes from most bars or ordered from room service, but it is more expensive and not all brands are available. (I don't know if any of this will change when cigarette smoking is banned on balconies in April or May of 2014.) -S.

Edited to add: To the best of my knowledge, the shop does not keep track of customs allowance for any passenger - that's up to the individual passenger.

It used to be that you could purchase them anytime, then the last time I tried to buy cigarettes on board, they were only available for delivery on the last day. Since then I've heard where they've had one day specials where they could be brought to the cabin. I don't think you can have a set plan since they seem to change the rules from voyage to voyage. :confused:

Hi Brigitte. I just clicked on the link provided earlier by andhow. To quote:

You can also purchase duty free tobacco from the shops at any time during your voyage and can take the tobacco products away immediately for consumption on board or take ashore purposes.

Queen Mary 2 - Mayfair - Deck 3

Queen Elizabeth - Royal Arcade (Deck 3)

Queen Victoria - Cunardia - Deck

My guess is that where you live, cigarette prices are lower than the prices on the ship? Anyway, seems to be a standard practice regarding the sale of cigarettes on board that you can buy them and take them away. As to whether or not it is a good buy - price wise I think it, depends on where you live. (In NY, a carton of cigs is approx $100+)

Just to mention that I have found no cigarettes sold on board that are made in the USA. For example, Marlboro cigarettes sold on board are made in Switzerland. (Not that they are better or worse, just that they are different.) -S.

Guess again! Cigarettes are $130+ a carton in the UK - most of that is made up of taxes :(.

andhow

I understand, but my guess was where Brigette lives, the price is less than the price charged on board. (Note that I directed my post #6 to Brigette.)

Louis

See attached price list.

andhow

cu_duty_free_tobacco.pdf

Thanks Salacia, I haven't even tried buying any on board since the time they wouldn't let me take them.....I make sure to always have enough. You are correct, we get them as cheap here as anywhere...$32.00. Next time you are on board at the same time, I'd be happy to bring you some. :)

We've bought in the Caribbean and on board a few times and I find them harsher somehow.....but when in need. :D

Thank you all for the replies. The cruise goes from Southampton to the Canary Islands so hopefully they will open the shops and be able to sell on the first sea day. Also I presume the cost of a packet of cigarettes at the bars onboard is less than in the UK high street? I told my travelling companion to take a few packets with them then buy the rest away as it will be much cheaper.

I did see a price list from a QM2 transatlantic which showed Superkings Blue 400's at $80 yet the one above shows $50. Is that an old list or does it vary depending on voyage.

I did see a price list from a QM2 transatlantic which showed Superkings Blue 400's at $80 yet the one above shows $50. Is that an old list or does it vary depending on voyage.

Hi Louis

I downloaded this from Cunard's website in August 2013.

andhow

Hi Louis

I downloaded this from Cunard's website in August 2013.

andhow

Thank you. If they have gone down to $50 I am sure they will be pleased. I have offered to carry 200 so they can buy 400. I suppose buying 600 would be a bit risky? It would mean 100 extra each.

Thank you. If they have gone down to $50 I am sure they will be pleased. I have offered to carry 200 so they can buy 400. I suppose buying 600 would be a bit risky? It would mean 100 extra each.

Louis

To be honest I can't remember the last time I was stopped by Customs after leaving a ship.

Go for it!

andhow

Thanks Salacia, I haven't even tried buying any on board since the time they wouldn't let me take them.....I make sure to always have enough. You are correct, we get them as cheap here as anywhere...$32.00. Next time you are on board at the same time, I'd be happy to bring you some. :)

We've bought in the Caribbean and on board a few times and I find them harsher somehow.....but when in need. :D

Hi Brigitte. Thanks very much for your very kind offer. I have no future voyages planned, but I wish you a very happy voyage in December.

BTW, I agree that the cigarettes sold on board (none of which are made in the USA) are rather harsh. Different tobacco, no doubt.

However, in St Thomas - which will be a port stop on your December cruise, the cigarettes sold there are made in the USA, and the price is comparable to what you pay in NC - maybe slightly less in A.H.Riise. (Just to mention that US Citizens aged 21 or over are allowed 5 cartoons of cigs duty free from St. Thomas.)

Anyway, thanks again for your very thoughtful gesture. Regards, -S.

Archived