Boston: hotel w/ 3 beds? Hotel Buckminster?

travel dog

Looking for hotel rooms with 3 beds for 3 individuals who like to have their own sleeping space is an art, I'm discovering. Can't use Hotline or Hotwire, etc. because they are all for double occupancy -- can't just list 3 as the number of people because that gets you mostly 2 double bed "can accomodate up to 4" listings -- sometimes hotels that do have triples don't indicate that on resources like Booking.com. It can be done but requires patience and detective work.

We are planning 3 pre-cruise days in Boston next summer and may have lucked onto something right away, just as I began planning: a listing for "2 rooms, 3 beds" at the Boston Hotel Buckminster, near Kenmore Park, for a little over $200 per night. Looks like it's in a decent area within 2 blocks of Fenway Park (which, in addition to baseball, is a HO HO stop) and similar distance to the Kenmore station on the Green Line. Restaurants and shops nearby.

There aren't a lot of reviews for the hotel, however. Have I lucked out? -- or is it sort of sketchy and I should keep on with the detective work? (And, if so, any suggestions for 3-bed accommodations very welcome.)

Thanks for any feedback/suggestions.

Look at the deluxe suite in the John Jeffries House. They say they offer a suite with 2 twin beds and a sleep sofa. The current rate for this is $185.

The locations is superb - in Beacon Hill near the Charles/MGH red line station, which is walking distance to the Common and Faneuil Hall. It more of a B&B/Inn with excellent reviews. There is a Whole Foods nearby and the rooms have a kitchenette.

If you're interested and room you require is available, don't hesitate to book. Rooms with three beds at a reasonable price are hard to come by in Boston.

I've stayed at the Hotel Buckminster... It's not bad, for what it is ... it's an old hotel (they say Babe Ruth stayed there when playing at Fenway.) The elevator is small and the rooms are oddly shaped. etc, etc..

That being said, I've stayed there twice; mainly because it's close to BU. But being in Kenmore Square means it's also close to the T. It's clean, and the heat works.

I'd stay there again, but now that BU has left the America East I don't know when that will be.

Aloha,

John

THANK YOU, 138East!! Truly, you are the most amazing source - the Boston Tourist Board (or whatever they have) should put you on retainer. In all my poking around, I'd never stumbled across the John Jeffries House and it's just about perfect for us. I've already been in touch with the very nice manager and we're booked!! Even closer to our budget ($204 with the extra person fee included), even closer to a T station (across the street), and in an area that seems very walkable and interesting.

Also greatly appreciate the information on Buckminster, jcl410 -- what you described is what I had expected/hoped it would be, and it's still on my list for a really baseball-intensive trip to Boston. (In addition to the Ruth connection, supposedly the deal to fix the 1919 World Series - the "Black Sox" scandal - was hatched in one of its rooms.)

Now to indulge in some Google Earth time and get familiar with our new neighborhood.

Can't thank you enough.

Archived