Live from Vantage River Splender

But you will need 2 transfers ...

We're flying into Cologne, so will take the local train from the airport into Cologne (€3) and from the main station we can walk to the boat. On the other end, the cab is cheaper than Vantage's transfer, especially if we share with our new friend across the hall! :)

We're flying into Cologne, so will take the local train from the airport into Cologne (€3) and from the main station we can walk to the boat. On the other end, the cab is cheaper than Vantage's transfer, especially if we share with our new friend across the hall! :)

It sounds like a good plain ....:)

Hello we're sailing away,

according to marinetraffic vessel tracker you have passed the German corner and Koblenz without stopping. I am a little surprised that this not in your itinerary, but then, you have already been through have of Europe. :)

How did you enjoy Rüdesheim and the Rhine Gorge passage?

Have a splendid time in Cologne.

Unfortunately, the weather has turned into a mix of typical November grey sky, wind and rain. A bit cool now. But Cologne is great any time of year in my opinion.

notamermaid

Hello, we're sailing away.

Oh yes, paaarty it is! :D

Quick explanation: there is a so-called fifth season in Germany, which lasts from 11.11am on 11/11 every year to Shrove Tuesday the following year. We call it Karneval around here. Lots of people in costume, lots of funny speeches, kissing people, laughter, merryment and drink. Sometimes too much drinking. :(

By late-afternoon Cologne will have turned into sometimes chaotic and dirty that is difficult to explain to the outsider! chuckle.

notamermaid

We drove around this morning in the city about 9' date='30 am the drinking was full speed empty bottles all over the floor .I can't inmainage what it will be like at 5pm[/quote']

Mardi Gras in NOLA? New Year's eve in NYC? any way you look at it, sounds like FUN!!!! and don't forget the Berliner..I bought one from a street vendor on the way back to the ship and it was so delicious I wished I had time to go back and buy his entire stock!!!:D

Hello hydrokitty,

Mardi Gras in NOLA? New Year's eve in NYC? any way you look at it, sounds like FUN!!!! and don't forget the Berliner..I bought one from a street vendor on the way back to the ship and it was so delicious I wished I had time to go back and buy his entire stock!!!:D

Glad you like them so much. As a typical sweet afternoon treat highly recommended. For the benefit of the other readers an info: Berliner are cooked in fat and have a jam filling (traditional recipe, variations exist). They are available mostly in autumn and winter in the Rhine area, typically eaten at carnival events (but also at other times).

Hello we're sailing again,

I look forward to your report from the Rhine downstream from Düsseldorf. What is your next stop?

notamermaid