Grand european november 2013 amsterdam-budapest

missykwfl

Sorry if this is a redundant post, but I have been searching this forum for an hour and my head hurts. My husband and I are taking our first ever river cruise. We are on the Viking Var from Amsterdam-Budapest. I can't recall exact date we leave Amsterdam but it is around 11.24/11.25. I have a ton of questions but my main concerns are as follows: (1) - we realize this will be different from the large ships we are used to, but ANY packing advice would be appreciated (i.e., river cruises don't have dress codes vs. bigger ships); (2) - can we bring our own liquor? I know they have wine packages, but we prefer certain liquors and would like to know if we are allowed to bring them on board (big ships will not allow it); and (3) as newbies, and after reading some of the horrendous posts about Viking, do any of you seasoned river-cruisers have pearls of wisdom you wish you would have known when you took your first river cruise? We are not expecting this cruise to mirror what Holland America or Princess can provide, but would certainly appreciate any insights.

Hi Missy, I did a lot of research for our Nov 5 trip. You definitely can take your own liquor and/or pop onboard. Dress is casual except for two nights which is like pants and a dressy top for ladies and slacks and a nice shirt for the men. I researched and researched and it seems that blue jeans and a nice top/shirt for dinner is acceptable.

Don't worry! You'll have a great time!

We just returned from our first river cruise, also…usually HAL ocean cruise fans.

Difference?

Smaller cabins (teeny…BUT…well-organized and extremely well-lit)…this pertains to the new longships

Bathroom floors are heated..offering a "drying area" for socks (they have a laundry line over the shower for your other items). I washed undies and socks every few days, but we sent out shirts, slacks to their laundry…came back in the afternoon.

You will be VERY busy!

Food was better (IMO) than on HAL ships (which we like) and DR service was excellent.

The excursions were very good…BUT…take good walking shoes (waterproof if possible)…we and most people had hiking shoes on. LOTS of cobblestones!

Some people changed for dinner, others didn't (I often didn't since I was usually taking photos along the way). You will be sailing when it's dark early so I would imagine there will be more people changing for dinner…not THAT big a change…just into a bit nicer slacks/top from the jeans/hiking pants that people wore during the day.

They have coffee/tea stations with goodies during the day and evening that can be your downfall…good cookies and pastries with assorted teas, cappuccino, hot chocolate, coffee available 24/7.

No room service but if you are under the weather, your spouse/travel mate can bring you back something from the DR.

Most people never realized that you can get a "lighter dinner" in the Aquavit Lounge each evening at 7:15: chili, penne pasta, club sandwich, burger, jacket potato. That's the menu. We did it several times since we were "fooded out" and didn't feel like a large meal. We were the only ones to do it. It was very good (very good chili!)

Those are the only tidbits I can offer…other than to say that you'll probably still overpack :-) but you'll also have a wonderful time.

Don't forget to pack your sense of humor! Things do happen…but roll with the punches…you're on vacation!

(Oh, and you STILL have a safety drill complete with orange life vests! Makes for a colorful photo op!)

Thank you for the informational posts! I am sure that I will over-pack (because I always do!) but am looking forward to this cruise. I completely forgot about the SAFETY DRILL, but since it's a smaller ship it won't be too bad. ;)

Don't worry! You'll have a great time!

We just returned from our first river cruise, also…usually HAL ocean cruise fans.

You will be VERY busy!

The excursions were very good…BUT…take good walking shoes (waterproof if possible)…we and most people had hiking shoes on. LOTS of cobblestones!

I read a wonderful post from someone who took the cruise in 2009...we haven't received our cruise documents yet, but how are the tours scheduled? I know with HAL we booked our excursions through their website....is it the same with Viking or do they just have tours and then you can pick options ones after that? Also, they sound like they don't last too long. My husband has a tendency to wander around when he sees something he wants to explore...I'm usually the one looking at my watch worrying about getting back to the ship....how strict are they on their ALL ABOARD times?

Archived