Help! Emerald Lake or Chilkat Bald Eagle Preserve

eaglesnest

Help! I am really having a hard time deciding between renting a car and driving to Emeral Lake or going on the "Alaskan Wildlife & Lynn Fjord Cruise", which goes to Chilkat Bald Eagle Preserve & Kroschel Films Wildlife Park. I have read so many wonderful things about the drive to Emerald Lake but haven't read anything on this other excursion. Has anyone done this? We love nature and want to see as much wildlife as we can. We are leaving August 6th so I really need to make a decision fast. We are also planning on doing the White Pass Scenic Railway the same day. Is it better to do this first or after the other excursion? Please offer any advice.

In my opinion I would skip the White Pass RR and drive up to Emerald Lake. My DH and I were interested in one thing on our recent cruise-nature! We prefer being in control so that if we see something that interests us we can stop and enjoy. On the train you have no control. Those that we spoke with on the ship who took the train were disappointed. There were times that all they could see were the trees on both side of the track. They couldn't stop the train for pictures and the train ride only goes part of the way.

We loved our trip to Emerald Lake, it was one of our vacation highlights. We packed a picnic lunch and stopped at this beautiful little park and enjoyed our own private taste of heaven.....a beautiful lake, trees, and no people or buildings in sight! How rare is that?!? We didn't take the Chilkat excursion but we saw no less than 100 eagles on our trip. We went on the SE orca kayaking and saw eagles and their nest. We went on Capt. Larry's whale watch and have a beautiful picture of 2 eagles perched on a little island in front of Eagle Glacier. We saw eagles on little icebergs in Glacier National Park and also in College fijords. Often we would see eagles while out on deck while cruising and when stopping at the different pulloffs along Turnagain Arm between Portage glacier and Anchorage there were many eagles out on the sandbars. We love spotting eagles and had lots of opportunities.....even saw a Golden Eagle in Denali National park. But, our wildlife highlight was our personal bear encounter while driving back from Emerald Lake.

Whatever you choose to do you will be amazed at God's work at it's finest! Alaska (and the Yukon) is awesome! Have a great vacation.........we can't wait to do it again!

If this is your first time, the views out of Skagway are a must see.

The train is fully narrated, and you get much more of a sense of what the miners went through back in the gold rush. It's very interesting, with gorgeous scenery, and gets consistently good reviews. So does the Emerald Lake route.

If you can do both, the Eagle Preserve is also gorgeous. But you will see eagles elsewhere--especially all over Ketchikan, and up close at Mt. Roberts and in Sitka at the rehab center.

Review of Eagle Preserve: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=180368

Pics: http://community.webshots.com/album/349541884tqYDai

The train is a must for those interested in history and superior scenery. :) With your wildlife priority however, you will see eagles out of Haines and at the wildlife park??? (which I know nothing about??) The Lynn Canal cruising is the same route as your cruise ship, if of interest be up very early or be out at sail away, extremely scenic. The drive to Emerald Lake is also just excellent. I have done all the above, except the wildlife park. Tough choices for some great options. :)

Archived