Alaska Tours

jdc

Doing a family trip on the Mariner to Alaska in September (Vancouver to Whittier). We are currently looking at excursions. We are going to do "Cruising Tracy Arm" and are also considering the "Speedcat to Glacier Point"...has anyone done them? Are they similar? Another consideration is that we are traveling with my 78 y/o mother. She's in good health....

Thanks in advace for all your continued help!

jeff

Cruising Tracy Arm was the highlight of our cruise - up close and personal with glacier, seals, bears, whales, eagles, etc. We also enjoyed the Skagway railway and kayaking - my wife calls it a 'once in a lifetime' experience, because she'll never kayak with me again! You get the Railroad one way and a bus the other - with the kayaking in between and plenty of time to shop in Skagway at the end. The guided tour of Sitka was a waste - I did better on my own. Don't miss the Raptor Center, but it's a pleasant walk from the boat. Our friends loved the helicopter to the dogsledding in Juneau, but we didn't go.

Enjoy

David

Hi Jeff,

Yes, as 747forever mentioned, we did do the Speedcat and it was incredible. We 'wished' we had also included the Tracy Arms Crusing. Everyone we spoke with who did it just loved it. The only thing I want to point out about Speedcat in Skagway that might affect your mom is this: once you reach the island you disembark the speedcat by ramp which is steep and if it is raining can be slick; you then walk maybe 100 yards and board the school bus that takes you on a 5 min ride to where you get outfitted for the canoes - at this point, once everyone is in jackets and boots and waders if you want them then you walk about 1/4 mile to the canoes - the walk is thru a beautiful forest and there is a trail but it is very uneven terrain. Just wanted to mention this in case your mom needs any help walking or is unsteady on her feet. The canoes are huge and they make it very, very safe and easy to get in and out. There were 8 of us in ours plus our incredible guide/naturalist, Boris. Feel free to ask me anything else.

Thanks everyone!

We booked both Cruising Tracy Arm and Speedcat to Glacier Point....my mother walks about a mile a day...so I don't see much problem there...now if I can get her on a "paddling" program......

Jeff,

Hooray for you, your mom and the rest of your group. I hope you enjoy all of your excursions. The Speedcat/Skagway was the one and only excursion of our entire trip that was COLD. After all, you are in a canoe and paddling to the face of the Davidson Glacier. In addition to the gear they will give you please, please do not forget gloves, a hat, a warm scarf and cameras, cameras, cameras. After walking thru the 'enchanted forest' we were all a bit warm and wanting to leave a jacket behind - don't. Once you are out in the open water with the winds and you approach the glacier it is really brishk - even Boris, our wonderful naturalist was chilled!!! This excursion departs the dock area at 8 a.m. so get an early room service. Also, the Tracy Arm Cruising is at 7 a.m. but Radisson sends a crew along to serve food, etc. so you do not have to worry about breakfast. I cannot wait to hear your details. Like I previously posted, everyone we spoke with just loved it. Raved about it. Good luck and God's speed to you and your mom and the rest of your crew.

MamaQuack:

Thanks so much for your help and direction..it's been above and beyond. I finished booking everything the other day and now I need to think about packing (remember gloves and hat)....we're going to do Neets Bay bear watching, Misty Fyords float plane, Tracy Arm, Captain Larry's whale watching, a quick stop to Rie Munoz's gallery, speedcat to glacier point, and the helicopter landing on the glacier. My mother just had lasik/cataract surgery and she is excited about "seeing everything in bright colors"...so again much thanks to you and everyone else who responded....

jeff

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone tell me which shore excursions they thought were a total waste of money?

If there were none in that category, then which ones are absolutely not to be missed? Sounds like Tracey Arm is a favorite, although expensive. Would any of the helicopter ones be worth the exhibitant price and also suitable for elderly people? I worry that with a 24 hour cancellation policy, a person might get stuck with a helicopter tour on a cloudy day where you can't see much.

Avoid the city tour in Sitka - just walk over to the Raptor Center and church yourself and save the money. Our friends who took the helicopter to dogsledding tour loved it - we didn't think it was worth the money.

David

Archived