Royal Balconies - forward obstructed?

LittleMissMagic

Hello! I was hoping that people who have cruised on Royal may be able to answer some questions about forward obstructed balconies.

I'm deciding between obstructed balconies on deck 8 (which look to have the high white wall), obstructed balconies which are forward-facing on deck 15 (which are said to only be accessed while in port), or a regular balcony.

I'm interested in the obstructed balconies because they're larger. I was originally sold on the forward-facing balcony until I realized that it could only be accessed in port. I've done a little research on here but haven't found any updates from Royal cruisers - can the balconies really only be accessed in port? Do they lock the balconies while at sea? Or is that just their way of warning you that winds are high and the balcony won't be enjoyable?

With the deck 8 balconies, how high is that white wall? I assume you can't see over it while sitting?

And then regular balconies.... I already know they're really small. Best locations?

Thanks so much!

In this thread, posts #1 and 5 show E109, the last cabin of the forward obstructed, with high white walls. I was thrilled to see how private they are and that there's a lounger. I'm sure that the bridge and some rooms above will be able to see down onto part of this balcony. The poster of this thread said there was some spray from washing the windows on the bridge on occasion.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1910915&highlight=e109

We'll be in E109 in January 2014, I'll take as many pics as I can of any and all the cabins in that area. ;)

HTH, Ms B

Edited by Ms Belvedere

Given that the doors are forward, imagine the force of wind entering your cabin if the door was open while the ship was sailing at 20 knots :eek: Those forward balconies will have their door locked while at sea and only unlocked while in port.

Ah, I see - it is the forward-facing door that is the issue. I am curious as to when they lock and unlock the doors. If you're sailing into port at 7 AM, surely they don't come and unlock the doors then.... but I would be disappointed if I had to leave and allow housekeeping to unlock the door before being allowed out on the balcony. Anyone have any experience?

It seems like Royal is just a big balcony fail unless you have a mini suite with an aft balcony. Either it's miniature, the view is obstructed, or you can't access it while at sea. Perhaps I should just choose based on location, considering that all three options are basically a glorified ocean view.

It seems like Royal is just a big balcony fail unless you have a mini suite with an aft balcony. Either it's miniature, the view is obstructed, or you can't access it while at sea. Perhaps I should just choose based on location, considering that all three options are basically a glorified ocean view.

We went with an S5 suite - up front, with a window looking out the front under the bridge, and a balcony on the side that is as deep (4 ft?) as others, but much longer (~20 ft) - and I think it's the biggest room on the ship in terms of sq. ft? Just another option to look at. :)