2 days in Cabo with kids

brovan1

Looking for some ideas on what to do with our kids in Cabo. We are sailing on the Carnival Miracle and will be in Cabo Dec. 31/Jan 1. We are defintely water/beach people...not so much for sight seeing when we cruise. This will be our first cruise with our kids (my hubby and my 6th though). Looking for family friendly activities without having to pay for expensive excursions each day. Our boys are ages 10 & 6. Thinking the 1st day I would like to go to a beach for the most the day, but from what I remember about Medano beach it's very crowded with vendors everywhere (which is sort of nice in that we can shop while sunbathing) and more of a party environment. So I started researching, and Chileno Beach seems to be a good option, just not sure how to get there on our own-taxi? private driver? This will give the kids a chance to play in the sand, swim and snorkel a bit. We will want to be there for much of the day, so any suggestions would be appreciated.

The second day I'm thinking of booking the first time available (8:15) through Whale Watch Cabo-heard good things about them and my kids love whales (we live in the Pacific NW where we have orcas) and never get tired of seeing them. Because it's run by marine biologists I thought it could be educational too. We are early risers so not really worried about us being able to get out of our stateroom, but I am worried about being able to get off the ship in time to meet a non Carnival excursion that early since we have to tender to the marina on time. The rest of the day we can play by ear, maybe go to Medano beach for a bit, shopping, lunch, etc...Can anyone suggest the best part of Medano for kids-water safety as well as less party atmosphere.

If anyone has any other suggestions, I am open to ideas!!!

We spend ten days, twice a year, in Cabo.

In my opinion, the best bang for your buck once you tender in, is to find a water taxi (and there are lots of them) at the Marina. For $10-12pp (less if you care to "haggle"), you can take a glass bottom boat out to view Lover's Beach, the sea lions, Divorce Beach and Land's End, and then have them deliver you to Medano Beach. While seeing Lover's Beach, you will be given food for the fishes (the fish will climb right up into your hand!).

Anywhere on Medano Beach is good, but we like the far end, at Tabasco's as it is far less of a "party" place, than others. That is where we go when our grandkids are with us. Good food and beverages at a good price.

After spending time at Medano, your options are a water taxi back to the cruise dock (about $3pp) or a short walk to a land cab (about $10 total for up to 6 people) The advantage of the land cab is that you will be afforded a view of Cabo that you might otherwise miss.

As for whale watching...there are lots and lots of opportunities there. We have been on Cabo Escape twice, and although it can be a party boat, you get a great boat ride, open bar, a "decent" lunch, as well as an opportunity to snorkel. If you buy a Cabo Passport Card, they offer half price, which means $25pp. An absolute bargain, IMHO.

Have fun, I suspect that you will love Cabo!