La Quinta Hobby "Stay and Cruise" - Any feedback?

PinaColadaGal

We have a group of 5 sailing in March and I was checking out transportation options from Hobby to the port. I ran across the La Quinta "Stay and Cruise". It sounds like a good deal but I wondered if anyone had any experience with it. It's $179 for a 1 night stay plus a shuttle to the port the next morning and a shuttle from the port to the airport when we get back. They even said we could leave our car seat with them after drop off so we didn't have to drag it on the ship and they would lock it up and bring it back when they picked us up. That sounds great but not really sure I trust them to remember it......

Has anyone else ever done this?

For just a room stay it is expensive for a La Quinta but since it includes the port transfers, it seems to be the cheapest option I can find. We like to arrive the day before and are splitting the cost of the hotel with the other people in our party, my parents. Basically for a night of lodging and transfers it is only going to cost us $60 plus taxes. That's the cheapest I've ever done it and I'm wondering if I'm missing something. The Carnival transfers would cost my DH, DS and I $210!

I just looked into staying there the night before our upcoming Feb cruise, because it's on the way from where we live near Austin. The AAA rate is in the $60's and the stay/cruise rate is $179. We can drive the 40 miles or so from Hobby to Galveston and park at one of the lots within blocks of the port (some with shuttles) for $50-65. So I don't see much benefit in paying $179 plus tax as opposed to $120-130 total to stay at the LQ by Hobby, drive to Galveston, and park. Maybe I'm missing something...?

Edited by austinlw

If you're driving from Austin to the cruise port anyway, then you have your choice of where to stay the night before, and I wouldn't pick the Hobby airport area. Plenty of other better areas to stay in around Houston, or, as suggested, just head on down to Galveston.

if you search this forum, you'll find other discussions of Houston area hotels with cruise parking arrangements.

Somebody help me out here. We are a family of four that will be flying into Hobby. I think I am in the same post as the original poster. For us the $179 ($200 with tax) seems to be the cheapest route to get to and from Galveston. The Carnival shuttle is considerably more than this. We could rent a car and park at a Galveston hotel for free, but by the time we do a one week rental and pay for gas, plus the hotel room it's obviously going to be more than $200. If we pay for a taxi or a car from what I can see it's going to be at a minimum $100 each way and that is without the expense of a hotel. So, for families that are flying into Hobby, this sure seems to be the cheapest way unless I am missing something obvious..... any thoughts? Am I missing something?

Somebody help me out here. We are a family of four that will be flying into Hobby. I think I am in the same post as the original poster. For us the $179 ($200 with tax) seems to be the cheapest route to get to and from Galveston. The Carnival shuttle is considerably more than this. We could rent a car and park at a Galveston hotel for free, but by the time we do a one week rental and pay for gas, plus the hotel room it's obviously going to be more than $200. If we pay for a taxi or a car from what I can see it's going to be at a minimum $100 each way and that is without the expense of a hotel. So, for families that are flying into Hobby, this sure seems to be the cheapest way unless I am missing something obvious..... any thoughts? Am I missing something?

If you're flying into Hobby, then this is probably a good deal. You've pretty much got the options nailed, and I don't think you're missing anything.

The only thing I'll warn you about the location of this hotel - there's not much in the way of restaurants right nearby (just a few fast food joints), so you'll have to ask the hotel if they'll shuttle you to a restaurant (or take a taxi) for dinner. But you do get a breakfast before your shuttle to the port.

The hotel is a La Quinta...nothing fancy, but it will be comfortable for the one night.

• 2 months later...

If anyone has stayed there, can you please comment how it went. We are flying into HOU and I have a room reserved.

In particular, what time(s) does the hotel operate the shuttle in each direction? Is it a basic van?

I haven't heard back on this topic in a bit, but I read on one of the posts that La Quinta runs the shuttle from Gal to Hou at 9am & 11am and takes people from Hou to Gal at 10am.

EDIT: Found the post here - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=41199771&postcount=7

Edited by Rewind

• 2 months later...

Reservation at La Quinta Inn Hobby Airport, King $79 plus tax. We flew into Hobby last Friday(April 4th) , called Hotel for Airport shuttle. Arrived in 10 minutes. Hotel is close to Hobby, about 5 minute ride. Checked in, took 5 minutes. Went to room , unpacked . Went back down and asked for shuttle service to Shell station for beer and soda, returned in 15 minutes. Dominios for supper. After supper went to front desk , talked to Marshawn about shuttle service to Bayport. She said they have a package that includes room and shuttle for about $200 plus tax. I asked if there was just a shuttle because I didn't buy package. She called Shuttle service and talked to Mateen (part owner) 1-837-389-0568 about picking us up. He agreed to pick us up for $100 ($50 at Bayport and $50 at Airport)for 2 both ways ( he agreed to stop at Walmart for water and soda at no extra charge). We agreed, pick up at 10AM. I was able to get 2 other couples to go for same price. Left at 10, stopped at Walmart, dropped off Bayport by 11AM.

Return, picked us up at 9AM. Mateen took 2 couples to airport and returned us to Hotel. We had a 4PM flight, killed 4 hours at hotel( used internet to print tickets, read E mails, then set by pool till time to go to Hobby. Hotel shuttle took us to Airport. Everything was like Clock work.

The Hotel was nice, clean , nice pool area, and breakfast OK.

Negative limited eating places in area, closes Jack in Box and restaurant in Holiday Inn. I would do this again if we ever return to Houston. In 9 cruises , this was probably the easiest coming and going . Rating 8 :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Karlie1,

thank you very much for the info. I will by flying in from Northern California next April to Hoppy airport for a cruise out Bayport. I will be flying down with my DH, DD SIL & 2 young grandsons. I know that it is a long way off but i like to be prepared and know what we are doing. I have been searching for posts on CC to get ideas on how we are going to get from the airprt to the hotel to the ship. Sounds like your plan will work well for us.

thank you again for the info

cindi