Valid to Cruise with a Passport that expires the same month???

ratkinson

We have an opportunity to travel last minute on a Disney Cruise Dec 8-12. We are Canadian so we would be travelling into the US then during the cruise visiting Bahamas.

My 8 year old son passport expires Dec 16th 2013. There isn't anyway we would get the new passport back in time for the cruise. Anyone aware if this would be a problem.

Thank You

Shouldn't be a problem. It's still a valid passport while you're traveling. As long as you're back in Canada before it expires you would be fine. You may get a few extra questions but just be prepared to tell them the reasoning and it should be okay. You can always contact your local passport office or DCL to verify.

As reference, from the US Embassy's Office:

To enter the United States by air, land or sea, Canadian visitors must have a document that complies with the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative. Unlike some other nationalities, as a Canadian your passport need not be valid beyond the duration of your planned trip to the U.S. and it need not be machine-readable. For more information on passport requirements, please visit the relevant section of this website.

http://canada.usembassy.gov/mobile//visas.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now, the Bahamas is different. You most likely won't be able to enter/leave the island.

From the Bahamian Minister of Foreign Affairs:

Canadian Citizens

A Canadian citizen does not require a visa to visit The Bahamas and can remain there for a maximum period of 8 months. The individual, however, must have the following documents:

A Canadian passport, with an expiry date that is NOT less than 3 months, after leaving The Bahamas (for direct travel) and NOT less than 6 months (if transiting through other countries such as the US)

A return ticket

Where a minor child is traveling with only one parent, a notarized letter of permit from the parent not travelling may be requested.

Canadian Permanent Residents

Permanent Residents of Canada (formerly known as Landed Immigrants) may stay in The Bahamas for 30 days without a visa. They must travel with the following items:

A valid passport from your country of origin of which expiry date, after return from The Bahamas, must NOT be less than 3 months (for direct travel) and NOT less than 6 months (if transiting through other countries such as the US)

An original Canadian Permanent Resident CARD of which the expiry date must NOT be less than 3 months (for direct travel) and NOT less than 6 months (if transiting through other countries such as the US)

A return ticket

For any enquiries, visit the Ministry of Foreign Affairs website section on "Foreigners Travelling to The Bahamas" at: http://www.bahamas.gov.bs.

http://www.bahamas.com/entry-requirements

Edited by telynch25

I'd recommend you call DCL or Bahamian officials and talk to them about the entry requirements by sea. You're technically a day guest when entering Nassau from the ship. So if you're wanting to get off in Nassau it's best to ask the professionals since the 6/9 month requirement is my understanding applicable to air travel but not fully enforced when entering by sea but I don't want you to get stuck somewhere. Below is Bahamian contact for Canada:

Canada

Bahamas High Commission

Metropolitan Life Centre

50 O'Connor, Suite 1313

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K1 6L2

Phone: (613) 232-1724

Fax: (613) 232-0097

E-mail: ottawa-mission@bahighco.com

Edited by telynch25

If it's a closed loop cruise, you don't need it for the Bahamas. They don't ask for your passport to get off the ship for the day.

They are Canadian. Different rules.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

If we are going simply by passport rules. The passport must be valid for a minimum of 6 months from the first day one enters a country.

As others have said, call DCL to confirm. Better to know ahead of time and get an expedited passport renew that show up at the port and maybe be denied boarding.

Edited by dforeigner

If we are going simply by passport rules. The passport must be valid for a minimum of 6 months from the first day one enters a country.

As others have said, call DCL to confirm. Better to know ahead of time and get an expedited passport renew that show up at the port and maybe be denied boarding.

The 6 month rule only applies in some countries and for passports from certain countries. If your cruise goes to a country with those rules (like the MED cruises), DCL will make you aware at the time of booking.

As far as the US is concerned for US citizens, the passport is good until the expiration date noted on the passport.

However, as noted, OP is Canadian and different rules apply. I'd get my info from DCL directly. DCL does assure that all applicable rules are met before they let a guest board.

We have an opportunity to travel last minute on a Disney Cruise Dec 8-12. We are Canadian so we would be travelling into the US then during the cruise visiting Bahamas.

My 8 year old son passport expires Dec 16th 2013. There isn't anyway we would get the new passport back in time for the cruise. Anyone aware if this would be a problem.

Processing times are pretty short these days for Passports, the expected return date is posted at the Passport office.

It took <2 weeks to get my new passport back.

If that is too long, you can get a rush passport in about 24 - 48 hours for an extra fee and a lecturing from the passport officer about proper planning :o

Edited by mshe