Honfleur or Rouen

Hi,

We are renting a car in Le Havre. Now, we need to figure out where we should go. We would like to go to both Honfleur and Rouen - does anyone know if these can both be done in one day 9-4pm? Or should we just do one - and which one then?

Thanks

Excellent question, I am looking forward to the answer as well. Not going until next summer, but it's never too late to plan. Our port is Honfleur, so we might just stay there and wander for the day. Or, train it to Rouen. Hadn't thought of a car, but that might be an idea too!

We were in the same dilemma last summer--We were advised it would be too rushed a trip to do both Honfleur and Rouen. Rouen met seeing some beautiful art museums but we did not want to give up on seeing Normandy. So in LeHavre we rented a cab with out difficulty and went first to the beaches at Normandy--specifically as Canadians-- Juno Beach---it was an extremely moving and emotional experience --one I would not have wanted to miss (SPENT ABOUT 3 HRS THERE AT THE BEACH, MUSEUM AND IN THE LITTLE TOWN). Then we drove to one of the most beautiful French villages --Honfleur .It is everything you imagine a seaside French village to be..--A step back to the 1600"s! Quaint outdoor cafe's at the water's edge, amazing shops filled with the most unique items , cobble stone streets filled with flowers etc...What a day of contrasts! We had left at 9AM and we returned to the ship by 4PM excited but exhausted.. .Have a wonderful time . Karen.

Karen, thanks for the insight. As another Canadian, I had discounted going on the military tours that the ship will offer, because they will no doubt do it with an US perspective (no blame there.)

But since we will be in Honfleur, maybe we can enjoy the scenic village that you describe, and also visit a beach. Now I have to go back and study my Canadian history a bit, since I can't remember right now which battle is which, although I have seen it all in TV documentaries.

Karen, Your cab tour sounds exactly what we are looking for. If you don't mind can you give me a few details? Did your cab driver give you time to spend in the cafe's and shops, etc.? Also, how much did this cost? I'm purchasing all of our euros and british pounds before we sail and would like to have some idea as to how much to budget for such a tour. Thanks.

Phil

Honfleur is gorgeous. We did it this week when we called at Le Havre on the Golden Princess. It cost 109 euros. (A set price) and included a two hour stay, although you could negotiate for longer. The Tourist Office next to where the ship docks has a list of tours by taxi at a set price. Worked out at half the price of the ship's tours when 4 people used the taxi. We had a great taxi driver called Christian and we gave him 120 euros. Have a good trip.

We rented a car and went to Rouen in the morning and were in Honfleur in time for a late lunch. The whole rental car process was a hassle but we were glad to see both places. Driving wasn't bad. It was just taking a taxi to Hertz and then getting a cab back to the ship after dropping off the rent car that was a hassle. I believe we had a little more time than 9 to 4 but I think you could do it. The Normandie Bridge that connects Honfleur and Le Havre is quite spectacular (http://bridgepros.com/projects/LePontde%20Normandie/LePontdeNormandie.htm).

Oh, by the way, Hertz didn't have an automatic transmission car in the whole place.

Hi,

Were you able to call a cab from the hertz office when you returned your car or where did you have to go? Do you know if the Hertz office was closer than the Alamo office in LeHavre(which claims it is at the ferry docks)? Did you use the Hertz never lost system? Was it in english?

Any thing important we should know - we leave on July 31st.

Thanks

Diane

Now I have to go back and study my Canadian history a bit, since I can't remember right now which battle is which, although I have seen it all in TV documentaries.

You'll be wanting to visit Juno Beach where the Canadian 7th & 8th Brigades landed.

When we returned the car the Hertz people called a cab for us. We probably waited 20 minutes for the taxi. The Hertz office was near a main street but actually on a small side street. We didn't use Never Lost. I kind of doubt it was available although it it worth checking. We had reserved a mid-size which turned out to be a very small Renault with a five speed manual transmission (hint - be sure you know how to get it in reverse before leaving). I don't know if other rent cars locations were better but it would be worth checking. We rented our car right before leaving for the cruise and Hertz was just easy.

Hi,

Thanks for the help. As long as I know that Hertz will make the call for us - I can allow enough time to wait for the cab. Did you just use a map and did you bring your own or did they provide it for directions? I supposedly have a car reserved with the never lost system in it - we will see!!

Diane

We used the map Hertz gave us which wasn't in any detail at all. The French highways are well marked so it is easy getting from place to place. We just followed the signs to the center of the city once we got to Rouen. Some of the Autoroutes are toll roads so you need some Euros. We parked in an underground parking garage in Rouen. When we left we paid by putting our parking ticket into a machine. The price comes up and you put in the money. The machine then dispenses a token that you use at the gate.

Our tense moment was getting back to the Hertz office in Le Havre. We found it through pure blind luck. The map we had wasn't in enough detail to show city streets. I would bring a good map along if you can find one.

Archived