Adelaide Day Excursions

johncb7

I've been to Adelaide a couple of times and there's a pedestrian shopping area, a fairly good museum (South Australian Museum) and an old jail (Adelaide Gaol) that you can tour on your own. You could also take the tram to the beach at Glenelg.

If you like native animals, then I'd find a way to get to Cleland Wildlife Park which is about 20 minutes out of Adelaide. (We had our car, so I don't know how you get there by public transporation, but there has to be a way.)

If you want to go a bit further afar, you could take public transportation to Hahndorf, Australia's oldest German settlement. Here's some info on how to get there by public transportation: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g255093-i698-k4688956-Day_trip_to_Hahndorf-Adelaide_Greater_Adelaide_South_Australia.html

Thank you for this information. We have considered renting a car for the short time we are in Adelaide but the rental companies seemed to be based in the City or at the airport. Does anyone know of a car rental company with an office at the Cruise Terminal please? I think that there may be a train that goes from near the Cruise Terminal to the Central Railway Station but by the time you undertake that journey each way it would hardly be worth renting a car. Any information on public transport in the Cruise Terminal area would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Thank you for this information. We have considered renting a car for the short time we are in Adelaide but the rental companies seemed to be based in the City or at the airport. Does anyone know of a car rental company with an office at the Cruise Terminal please? I think that there may be a train that goes from near the Cruise Terminal to the Central Railway Station but by the time you undertake that journey each way it would hardly be worth renting a car. Any information on public transport in the Cruise Terminal area would be much appreciated. Thanks.

The railway staion is opposite the cruise terminal. The cruise line will also provide a shuttle that usually takes you into the CBD and drops off near the Rundle Mall. It's about 25/30 minutes into town. The shuttles will run regularly as opposed to the train timetable.

We did Adelaide on our own.

We wandered the Rundle Mall

A few blocks down is the historic section,(check out Ayers House.)

We then meandered over to the river and took a boat ride. After that we walked up to the tram stop and rode the tram to Glen Elg, which is a delightful seaside suburb. Lots of touristy shops and cafes, beach and a pier.

Then back on the tram and took the shuttle back to the ship.

As Kiwi Kruzer said, the train station is literally opposite the terminal, 5 minute walk (if that). We always put on shuttle buses to take you into the city and Kiwi Kruzer's suggestion of walking round the Shopping District, then North Terrace, the Riverbank etc is a good idea. The Museum hosts a particularly good display of indigenous stuff. Also a tram ride to Glenelg is very easy to do and low cost, especially if the weather is warm and you want to walk along the beach.

However if you go on line you can organise a private tour without too much difficulty that will pick you up from the ship. Though I haven't been there as I see plenty of wildlife in the wild, Cleland Wildlife Park get very good reviews from visitors. If you are into wine there are several premium wine districts within a day tour visit of Adelaide, including the Barossa Valley. Most of our wineries have cellar doors and tastings and many have very nice restaurants on site.

Keep in mind though that we are a hot dry city and February can be our hottest month, regularly temperatures into the high 40's Celsius. So if you are doing your own thing and are not in an airconditioned vehicle for touring, take plenty of water and maybe plan your trip so it can be modified if we are in the middle of a heat wave. We have the motto Slip, slop slap - slip on a shirt, slop on sunscreen and slap on a hat. I think the advertising people have added slide to that in slide on your sunglasses.

On a final note, the Port is in the mouth of the Port River (original name I know :) ) and home to our Port River dolphins who are quite friendly. Keep your eye out you may see them frolicking in the water, we have, several times.