Cash or Credit

Ifortworth

Hey all,

We leave next week for our cruise to the Bahama's via Disney from Galveston.

Just about all of our credit cards are maxed out (don't ask or judge :) ) but we have about $1500 cash that we are planning on bringing. Will we be ok with the cash or should I put some towards a CC bill and bring that CC that will now have some available credit on it?

Thanks

Personally, I would put whatever amount you wish to towards your CC and register that with DCL.

That way "IF" something should go wrong at DCL's end and say you were to get overcharged or charged for services not rendered (like a missing pillow etc by mistake), you can always dispute that via the CC company and you have back up and a good resolution channel.

With cash you do not.

I'm not saying that people do get overcharged or charged for things incorrectly on a regular basis, just that when a mistake is made by a CM, you have more backup with a CC over cash IMO.

ex techie

Also... Do you have a Red Card from Target? I have the debit card version so it comes out from my checking account with no annual fee. Purchase Disney "entertainment cards" at Target and you receive 5% off. Turn into guest services onboard to apply towards your onboard account. Just look on the back of the card to ensure it shows Disney Cruise Line. Save card after applying to account just in case there is an issue.

Oops - not sure if it was legal here for me to recommend a retail establishment. If I was wrong in doing so please delete my post above. Just looking to help OP save money

We've had lengthy conversations about how to use the Target cards so as long as they're not a travel agent and you're not shilling for them, you're good.

Our policies are all spelled out at the Guidelines link at the top of every page.

Edited by Host Mick

Also... Do you have a Red Card from Target? I have the debit card version so it comes out from my checking account with no annual fee. Purchase Disney "entertainment cards" at Target and you receive 5% off. Turn into guest services onboard to apply towards your onboard account. Just look on the back of the card to ensure it shows Disney Cruise Line. Save card after applying to account just in case there is an issue.

so wait, you're telling me I save 5% on gc? Well, damn. I should have paid for my cruise that way.

We used a cash system our first few cruises, as we didn't have cc. Now we use the credit card since it's easier (but I pay off each month, I just use it to get points). This year, i have a $200 on board credit and a $200 gc from cc points, so we won't need anymore.

Thanks all,

No Target Red Card and probably to late to get one before next Saturday.

I guess we'll do half and half or some such.

Regards

David

nope. walk in with a check. it'll take about 7-10 to get the actual card, but you get a piece of paper with the info, it's good on that checkout.

(NOT a credit card, debit card, you save 5% and free shipping, it's linked to your checking account. You save 5% since they aren't paying the cc fee for the other

banks/cards)

Edit, you don't need a credit card for the ship, a regular bank card will work as well. But they will put a hold on some funds, so make sure you have that amount in your account.

Edited by Gardeneroflove