Sea Creatures in Eastern Caribbean

Melb1127

Ok, now don't criticize me with your answers to this kind of silly question. My 8 year old daughter has asked me this several times and I thought I'd put the question out there. Ok, here it goes:

Are there any creatures in the ocean that sting, pinch or bite us while swimming??!!:eek:

Thanks so much for your nice answers!

Melanie (and my DD Kayla!)

Yes, there are. Jellyfish are probably the most common thing you'll run into that can cause a sting, but there are lots of other things out there, too. There are certain types of coral, called fire coral, that will feel like they've burned you if you happen to touch them - but you shouldn't be touching coral anyway. There is a snorkel/scuba forum on CC that has some very good advice on this subject.

Depending on where you are and the time of the year, jellyfish have a nasty sting, but locals will know if there are lots of of them around. Believe it or not, meat tenderizer powder works wonders on a jellyfish sting.

The waters in the Caribbean are mostly crystal clear. You should be able to see anything in the water.

I have been snokeling and swimming many, many times and never been stung, pinched or bitten. Only tickled sometimes by teeny, weeny fish.

Don't be afraid to go in the water. It is so beautiful. Just wade right in.

It can be like a bathtub. Wish I was paddling around right now.

celtic

Thank you everyone! This is one of those questions that I really didn't want to know the answer to and I'm not going to tell my daughter any of the answers! There's no way I'm keeping her off the beaches and in the ship's pool at all times!!! She's not scared of anything though, so I'm not worried!

Melanie

There is a snorkel/scuba forum on CC that has some very good advice on this subject.

Thank you Spongerob. I'll go check it out now! Well then again, maybe I don't want to know and I'll just see what's waiting for us when we arrive in August! :eek:

Archived