NEWS: Alamo rental charges changes

spleen93

We (the CC Hawaii board community) have generally been strong proponents of renting cars and exploring the islands on your own. With that in mind, we have encouraged people to rent cars beforehand and then see how they felt. If they decided that it wasn't for them or if the ship couldn't make it into port, it was no big deal - no penalties involved.

Well, that might have changed.

Alamo has announced a new policy effective yesterday regarding its rental cars and cancellations. I encourage all of those that have rented with Alamo for upcoming cruises/trips to read the following article. You may wish to talk to Alamo to discuss the nature of your contract.

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050713/BUSINESS/507130319/1188

Spleen

PS: it's not clear to me whether this penalty applies to ALL Alamo rental car contracts or just to the prepaid contracts.

I have made reservations with Alamo on most of the ports for our upcoming Hawaii cruise in November. When I made the reservations (online), no credit card information was given so I don't know how they can ding my credit card $25 when they don't have that information to begin with. :confused:

This would probably only apply if you were a member of their frequent renter club and had your CC on file with them or you pre-paid for your rental. Obviously, if you haven't left a card number with them, then you can't be billed for it. :)

Spleen

I was thinking of renting my cars via priceline but I know I will not get any money back if ship doesn't dock Can you tell me what you are paying for an alamo car (and type of car) so I can compare with Priceline?

Aloha,

We just returned from Hawaii and rented from Alamo.

They are charging a fee if you return early or if you want to keep it a extra day or time.

Our flight wasn't until 9:30 pm and time on car as orignally reserved was to return at 3:30 pm. We decided it would be worth paying for another day of rental fee. I called to make sure it would be okay for returning at 7 pm.

Alamo said we would be charged a 'late return fee' and the extra daily rate.

I found this excessive! I was willing to pay a daily rate for the four hours but not daily rate and a extra charge.

Also the airport location was so busy, it took more that an hour to get car. After doing all the paper work we had to wait for car to be washed and brought out. Then the parking gate attendant caused gate to come down on car and metal stakes to come up and puncture tire!!! This cause us an additional time to proceed to get a replacement car. Moving 6 heavy suitcases and three gals to another convertible. This was great fun!!

But after that our trip was marvelous!!!

Aloha!

Karin in Oklahoma

I had problems with my Alamo rental from the airport in June. I was told that I would be charged a $30 drop off fee for returning the car to the downtown location, even though my confirmation had no drop-off fee listed. I really had to stick to my guns to have them abide by my confirmation. They even tried to keep the confirmation, but I insisted that I had to have a copy in case there was some confusion.

I love National, but won't rent from Alamo again.

Archived