Wheelchairs on the Dawn

Netnurse31

I will be on the Dawn next month with my mother who is physically challanged due to recent double knee replacements and older hip surgery. While she can walk distances, I'm concerned about the enormity of the Dawn for her. I've been trying to convince my father that it would be useful to bring her wheelchair with us. As a seasoned cruiser he is concerned about navigating the ship with a wheelchair and the hallway width as well as steps etc. As of this time I have been unable to convince him that it would be a good idea to bring it.

Does anyone have experience bringing their own wheelchair onboard? How large are the halls on the ship. Would you think it would be difficult to travel the ship with the chair? I'm not concerned about storing the chair in our cabin as I am in an AB Penthouse and Mom and Dad are in a connecting minisuite. We will have plenty of room to keep it.

I will be on the Dawn next month with my mother who is physically challanged due to recent double knee replacements and older hip surgery. While she can walk distances, I'm concerned about the enormity of the Dawn for her. I've been trying to convince my father that it would be useful to bring her wheelchair with us. As a seasoned cruiser he is concerned about navigating the ship with a wheelchair and the hallway width as well as steps etc. As of this time I have been unable to convince him that it would be a good idea to bring it.

Does anyone have experience bringing their own wheelchair onboard? How large are the halls on the ship. Would you think it would be difficult to travel the ship with the chair? I'm not concerned about storing the chair in our cabin as I am in an AB Penthouse and Mom and Dad are in a connecting minisuite. We will have plenty of room to keep it.

I see chairs and those power scooters all over the Dawn every time I am onboard. The regular cabin doors are bit narrow and the chair will not fit through it. The rest of the ship is pretty acessable.

We travel with a "Jazzy" and have not had any problems when we are on Dawn. I do suggest you bring one for your mom. Dawn is large. Dawn has been rated one of the better ships for the handicapped/physically challenged. They do have the most beautiful handicapped rooms. Wide door ways, extra large bathroom, plenty of room in the cabin (a wheelchair must be able to make a complete 360 turn at any given spot. Getting around the ship will be easy it is very handicap friendly as well as accessible. The most difficult place to get to is the Venetian dinning room. It has many stairs. You must take another elevator to get in on the lower part of the dining room. :) ps. If your mom arrives at the pier in the wheel chair she will not have to wait in line to embark.She will be one of the first ones on. There is a special set up for those in a wheelchair.:)

Hope you have some luck in convincing them. We traveled on the Dawn in January with my brother who is a quadraplegic. He arrived in his large, heavy electric wheel chair and as far as I know had no problems getting anywhere that he wanted to onboard.

Archived