Alcohol Rules & Regulations

erin_cruisers

Any help experienced Bermuda visitors (or residents) can give us would be appreciated!

We are visiting Bermuda for the first time Aub 7 (VOS).

What are the local rules for drinking alcohol on the beach, for instance.

Some islands we have visited are very loose (St. Maarten), others strict.

We like to have a beer or two, at the beach and are usually very discreet, but we don't want to get into trouble, or offend.

If it is permitted, can you buy beer in the local variety stores, or must you go to government stores (like here in Ontario)?

Thanks in advance for your help...

At Beach It in Fort St. Catherine's there is a bar on the beach and in Tobacco there is bar on the grounds. I can't recall if they sell beer at Horseshoe, but I think they do (probably cans). When we visited St. James Bay the locals told us that drinking wasn't allowed on the beach and that we should keep it buried and drink from cups, which we did -- no problem. I've yet to see anybody even remotely official looking on the beaches in the 4 times I've been on the island. However, you may want to bring along a thermos just in case -- the cab drivers are usually good with this type of info. Whatever you do, don't bring STRAWS -- that is a major infraction!

pattycakes:

Thanks for the info! Will buy some and keep it "under wraps".

So you say they sell it at the bars located nearby. I guess you're supposed to drink on the premises then? not take it down to the beach? I wonder if people do.

quote: "Whatever you do, don't bring STRAWS -- that is a major infraction!"

Is that for ecological reasons?!? or where you being 'funny'?

At beaches where there are bars right on the beach (such as Tobacco Bay) it does not seem to be a big deal to have your beer on the beach. At other beaches such as Horseshoe I don't think it is allowed, but like pattycakes says I haven't seen anyone enforcing it. Just keep it discreet. Generally you're not allowed to walk around with open liquor and Hamilton is where you're more likely to get in trouble for it.

I was at Horseshoe on Saturday and don't recall seeing any beer for sale but I wasn't looking for it.

Straws are a no-no and it is for ecological reasons. The drink stand at Horseshoe doesn't provide them (not sure about Tobacco Bay) and neither do other places like the zoo. Most bars and restaurants do provide straws with drinks.

Also, someone on the ship purchased a six pack in St. George and they didn't "hold" it for him when he got back on the ship; he was kind of bummed cause he would've gotten more. At beach it, there seems to be no restriction on bringing your drink to the beach. They also have a covered area where you can sit and karoake last time I spent the day there.

Archived