Global Entry?

newbie60

We'll be flying into Sydney, Australia to begin a 32 day voyage. I'm aware that Visa's are required to enter Australia but I'm thinking that perhaps having Global Entry eliminates the requirement for a Visa.

Can anyone help me with more details? Thanks!

Read this.....

http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page5555.asp

http://www.customs.gov.au/travellers/smartgate/us-global-entry-program-trial.asp

It is current info on our customs web site, stating that the trial began in Nov 2012. This info appears not to have been updated, so must still be current and correct (being from an official customs web site).

It states that visas are still needed. You will find that the process of entering will be much quicker via the smart gate. Of course you need the e passport to do this. It doesn't mean that you bypass any customs inspections though. Hope this helps.

Edited by bobhsv
more info

We'll be flying into Sydney, Australia to begin a 32 day voyage. I'm aware that Visa's are required to enter Australia but I'm thinking that perhaps having Global Entry eliminates the requirement for a Visa.

Thanks for the question. I wasn't aware that we could use our Global Entry in other countries. In 29 days we'll use it for our first time. Looking forward to it.

I thought global entry was just for when you were returning to the US? Just like our SmartGates that you can use when you have a chipped passport. It doesn't negate the need for a Visa though, that's a separate thing and needed for all visitors to Australia except New Zealand passport holders.

Incorrect. You still need a Visa. Global Entry has nothing to do with your permission to enter this country. It is only a speedy way to go through electronic passport control. If you don't have a visa, you could be denied entry.

I'm an American with Global Entry, & just returned from Australia last week.

All Americans need to obtain a visa to enter Australia.

Global Entry is only for clearing U.S. Customs & Border Protection more quickly. It has nothing to do with clearing customs in countries other than the USA.