Carry on question

A friend of ours said that you can only have 3 ounces of any liquid in your carry on when boarding the ship on embarkation day.

This first time cruiser must have missed that lil pearl.

Is that true? And if so, where are there other carry on limitations I can read about ahead of time so that we don't look like complete idiots.

Serenade of the Seas.

Thanks.

Incorrect. We pack our large bottles of sunscreen, aloe, shampoo, etc. in our checked bags for flying, then transfer them to our carry on bags for boarding the ship. Have never had a problem.

Always have to shop pre cruise after we get off the airplane, and before we cruise for sunscreen and aftersun cream!!!

Very expensive and few selections on the ship!

Took our 2 wine on board in our carry on in March, could not bother to take water/soda - but always take a waterbottle with me to fill as needed! and take that ashore every outtrip, and never had a problem with it - but, you must fill a glass and pour into your bottle - cannot fill it from public fountains.

If you 'just want to be safe', don't bring anything onboard that is mentioned on RCI's website as not allowed. As others have said, however, enforcement of some of the prohibitions, not including alcoholic beverages, is somewhat spotty, so it is your call.

I think the complication and the confusion arises because the written policy says no, passengers cannot bring soda/water on board but the rule is only enforced in some ports. I have not had any problem in Port Canaveral or Tampa but I have heard some ports confiscate water or soda. As many others have said, "try it, if they take your water it is only a few dollars."

Funny you say that because the only port I had difficulty bringing a case of water onboard was in Tampa....twice! :)

From what I have read about bringing water and soda onboard, it is usually during spring break when they enforce the rule the most.

There appears to be a discrepancy in the rules because they say you cannot bring them on and then they turn around and say if you do bring them, they may be inspected to see if they have alcohol in them. So it is really not very clear. I will be taking Dr. Pepper with me because they don't have it on the ship. I prefer it and I like to keep something in the room to drink. However, I have also already ordered the drink package.

A can of soda will run about $2.50 (including the 15% tip)...they are readily available on the ship.

As long as they carry your soda of choice. I haven't seen pepsi products (e.g., Mountain Dew) or Dr. Pepper on board so far, but would be a much happier cruiser if I could get a can of either from the bars.

On a recent trip DW and I packed some packets of sugar free drinks (e.g., Crystal Light) and then mixed the packets into 16/20oz bottled water and left them in our fridge til desired. To serve we then poured over ice in a rocks glass when we wanted a calorie free sweet drink. Since we didn't drink straight from the bottles we felt comfortable just rinsing out and reusing the bottles without a more serious means of sanitizing the bottle.

We also packed some smaller nalgene bottles (~16 oz) to carry water ashore in ports. We felt comfortable just filling from our bathroom faucet, but water coolers were also available near the windjammer if one preferred using iced water. A few people did have along travel mugs for coffee in the AM, and I wished I'd thought to bring along a cheapo reusable mug to do the same (suggestion: bring a starbucks "reusable" cup - they cost ~$1 and if you lose it or decide to not pack it home you haven't really lost much). A nice touch on another line was that they provided paper to-go coffee mugs at the coffee stations in the AM so you could easily carry coffee ashore in the AM - I really missed that on our last cruise on Jewel when I went into caffeine withdrawal on one of the tours and ended up being abed for ~6 hours to recover.

Edited by jb008