Switching from reg to aft facing ext balcony

tbtma

And it is so quiet, only pax with cabins go back there, unless they are lost.

Favorite story: We arrived at our cabin one afternoon and two older women asked us how they could get to the back of the ship. :rolleyes:

When my DH said they were at the back, they asked where they could see the wake. He opened the door, and since we had left the curtains open, they could see they truly were as far aft as they could be on that deck.

Love our aft-facing cabin, we already have one booked on Liberty.

I love the aft facing balconies and would definitely upgrade for that amount. You didn't mention ship or cabin but some of them are larger than the others and some like the one that I have booked on the Dream are completely covered so you may want to research that if shade or sun is something that you want. Here is a link to one of the youtube videos that I bookmarked. This clearly shows the wonderful view and sounds of an aft facing balcony.

For that price you should at least try it once. We did on the Miracle and decided it was not for us.

Yes, the view is amazing. But, we found it to be hot, especially in port when the ship is not moving. And even when moving, there is not much of a breeze on a hot day.

We also experienced soot from the 'whale tail' just about every day.

Do you smoke or mind the smell of smoke? We decided to try the aft balcony on our last cruise and had smokers on both sides, several rooms down from us and above us. The smell seems to stay at the back but the side balconies get more wind so the smell disappears quicker. We will try the aft again but on a cruise line that doesn't allow smoking on the balcony.

We did once, and didn't enjoy it as much as we thought we would after hearing how many CCers love them. We were on a Royal Carib ship. It was definitely quiet, and a much bigger balcony (HUGE actually), but it was so hot. Our balcony had partial shade, but there was no air circulation. I truly missed the breezes we get on a regular balcony. We got soot and some odd odors, and we were not entranced by staring at the wake all the time. I'm glad we did it once, but wouldn't do it again.

What about noise at night time from the Serenity bar area above?

I've just booked an Aft Ext Balcony on Carnival Legend for her summer season in Australia later this year. I'm on deck 8 port side. Do you get noise from the deck above?

Just wondering .....

I've just booked an Aft Ext Balcony on Carnival Legend for her summer season in Australia later this year. I'm on deck 8 port side. Do you get noise from the deck above?

Just wondering .....

We had an aft extended on Carnival splendor and it was just above the adult pool area and Deli/Tandoori section and heard no noise from above at all!

The afts usually jut out a bit so the deck above rail is in the centre of the aft cabin so i would imagine the noise from above would be heard from the interior cabins?

also it isnt exactly quiet back there anyway, the wake/prop noise usually drowns out any noise from above but even the prop noise didnt bother us and we were in one of the bulkhead types (bit like a cove) where the noise amplifies a bit.

Just wondering .....

Here you go! click on the pic The Bulkhead overhang that people dont like was actually a god send giving plenty of shade that the other aft,s miss out on.

Its not quite as noisy as the vid, the new camera was very sound sensitive.

th_video-2012-06-11-18-06-01.jpg

Thanks again

That noise is very acceptable and wouldn't worry me at all.

Being an ex-sailor (R.A.N) I was quite used to ship noises and find them very relaxing. I was only concerned if there were late night party's on the deck above and it upset the wife. It's taken me about 20 yrs to talk her into sea travel and I'd hate to spoil it.

Thanks fishtaco. Your comments are much appreciated.

Sorry I should of elaborated :rolleyes:

Although not the Spirit this vid was done during the day to show people how quiet it actually is in the aft cabins even with a pool above and outside prop/wake noise

That's okay fishtaco

I get the idea and it's pretty much answered my questions.

I realise each ship has their own differences, e.g. it looks like Legend doesn't have the overhang that Splendor had, but when you closed the door it seemed very quiet so I'd expect that noise from above won't be an issue.

:) We will be in an Aft Wrap on the Carnival Splendor in a few days... we spent days pouring over deck plans and looking at pics and reviews. We are smokers and wanted to find a place where we could enjoy our cigs in peace without offending others (read as leave us alone). I assume many smokers will opt for similar accommodations...so keep that in mind. We are looking forward our unobstructed view. We will let you know.:D