Wedding Dress after the Big Day

ckb148

Ladies, What are you doing with your dress after the ceremony? Trashing it and leaving it behind or packing it away to come back home with you?

I figure I can leave it behind and have room for more goodies to bring home....we are walking around Juneau for 5 hours after our ceremony with our photographer, so I figure the dress will be pretty trashed....but not sure if I can actually part with it.....

We kept our gowns. Ours were pretty gross after walking around the open deck of the ship and we didn't want to have to schlep them off the ship, so we bought a 24x24x24 box, packed all the remnants of our wedding and our gowns inside and checked it so it was taken off the ship for us. A year later and the gowns are sitting in the back of our closet. With as much as they cost, we are having trouble parting with them. We are thinking about making my wife's gown into a Christmas tree skirt and mine we're going to have made into a bassinet cover to go over my vintage bassinet when we have kids.

Edited by Carnival_Brides

We are doing a b2b wedding/honeymoon cruise, Wedding in St. Thomas on leg one and trash the dress shoot in St. Thomas one week later with the same photographer. (cuz you know, you get married on one beach but why not get pictures on others :D ) I am going to attempt to get my dress "dry-cleaned" on the ship and bring it back with me, in hopes to turn it into something for a child like a christening outfit.

I plan to bring mine home, have it cleaned, and try to sell it. I would have loved it if I could have found my dress used for a cheaper price, but didn't have any luck. So I figure it's better for it to have a longer useful life and make another bride happy than to have it sit in my closet. Plus, then I can recoup some of the dress cost.

Although, before all that, we are getting married at port in New Orleans, but we do plan to get dressed up again at one of our stops to get some beach photos, probably in Belize. We also debated doing the same after returning and doing a New Orleans photo shoot, since that is technically where we are getting married. But, that one seems like more trouble since we will be busy saying goodbye to everyone and anxious to get home. Plus, we won't have my free SIL photographer available. But, we just didn't want ALL of our wedding photos to be of tacky cruise ship décor and ship railings... although I have seen some amazing ship photos too.

• 1 month later...

We are having dinner with friends in our hometown and again in Chicago after our return. the plan is to wear our outfits to dinner. So at this point we plan to bring them home. of course that is subject to change if they become complete messes with the wedding and then Dinner that night on the ship.

I just got home from our wedding on the Epic and I carried it back in the bag it came in. It was a very large dress that got us priority boarding on all of our flights, lol

I am guessing the days of priority boarding with a wedding gown are fading fast. Several of the airlines are now "enforcing" existing rules for carry on luggage. Here's an article with some details....

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/carry-crackdown-united-enforces-bag-size-limit-22769427?singlePage=true

I am guessing the days of priority boarding with a wedding gown are fading fast. Several of the airlines are now "enforcing" existing rules for carry on luggage. Here's an article with some details....

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/carry-crackdown-united-enforces-bag-size-limit-22769427?singlePage=true

I'm flying United :-(

I still haven't figured out if I want to ditch the dress for souvenirs. I know the dress will get trashed- we are getting married on a glacier in alaska and then trekking around with our photographer for hours. I still can't figure out if it is worth it, but afraid if I don't bring it back, I'll regret it...

I have a separate suitcase that I am using to bring all of our welcome bags and favors onboard. Then I'll use that to bring my dress back home in. I've decided to donate my dress to Brides Against Breast Cancer.

I have a separate suitcase that I am using to bring all of our welcome bags and favors onboard. Then I'll use that to bring my dress back home in. I've decided to donate my dress to Brides Against Breast Cancer.

I love that idea!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neither of us is wearing a wedding dress (I am sure you are relieved!), but thought you might appreciate this suggestion for the men in the wedding party.

We are getting marrier on the ship while she is at port in New York City. With everything going on, taking pictures, ability to say good-bye to non-sailing guests, and enjoy sail away with our sailing guests...we decided to keep our rented tuxedos and have a courier pick them up when we reach the first port (Cape Canaveral). Using a national rental XXXX Warehouse chain, meant that this is one less task on the wedding day. This saved us the cost of a full week rental too.

This might not work for most itineraries, but it does for us.

I'm not sure yet, I bought 2 in case I wanted to do trash the dress pictures (they're identical) or I have a tragedy (I'm really OCD). I figure if we don't do that I will sell one of them and keep the one I got married in, I can't imagine reusing though because even at tea length it really looks like a wedding dress. Time to search Pintrest for some good ideas lol.....