Celebrity Summit Oct. 19 Bear Cruise/NYC to San Juan

ScottieZ45

• 2 months later...

No, this is not an all-gay cruise. This will be our second group cruise. Last one was about 350 to 400. We had a blast. No problems with the other passengers. In fact, I think they were jealous that we had more fun then they did.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Got email for TA Dan about 2015 Bear Cruise out of Barcelona (not interested since recently visited most all the ports) but then noticed he has this group on the Celebrity Summit. All ports on this itinerary will be new to me (although 1 Caribbean island tends to look that every other one, :D).

So, I have booked both legs (Celebrity had great deal for California residents on Leg #1) so got balcony for Leg #1 and inside on Leg #2 - each for about the same price! Travelling solo so have to pay the 100% surcharge.

Looking forward to hearing what excursions and events TA Dan will plan (he mentioned something about booking a comedian, catamaran trips but not much else). However, he did say that he is not doing anything in San Juan (other than pre/post cruise hotel). Thus, I am now busy looking into what's available there.

Problem with planning for Sat, Oct 25 (B2B day), is you never know exactly when you will be permitted off the ship. Often can go ashore very soon after arrival since you are an "in transit" passenger but govt rules vary from port to port. Seems safest approach is to do a ship excursion that (theoretically) ends at airport but is available to B2B pax as well.

Almost certain to stay a day or two at the end to see some more of SJ (never been before). Air fares are slightly better on Mon/Tue anyway.

Was on a Chumley Bear Cruise in 2012 with lots of bears (IIRC, 700+). Princess gave us the aft pool+bar area and we had entire 2nd seating of one of the MDR's. Glad they ignored assigned tables and everyone just sat with whomever they wished. Doubt this will be the case with this group as it is much smaller (i.e. ~200? More on 2nd leg?).

Anyone else notice that Celebrity changed our Tortola BVI port to St Thomas? That will make it a duplicate port for those of us on both cruises.

See ya on board!

Got email for TA Dan about 2015 Bear Cruise out of Barcelona (not interested since recently visited most all the ports) but then noticed he has this group on the Celebrity Summit. All ports on this itinerary will be new to me (although 1 Caribbean island tends to look that every other one, :D).

So, I have booked both legs (Celebrity had great deal for California residents on Leg #1) so got balcony for Leg #1 and inside on Leg #2 - each for about the same price! Travelling solo so have to pay the 100% surcharge.

Looking forward to hearing what excursions and events TA Dan will plan (he mentioned something about booking a comedian, catamaran trips but not much else). However, he did say that he is not doing anything in San Juan (other than pre/post cruise hotel). Thus, I am now busy looking into what's available there.

Problem with planning for Sat, Oct 25 (B2B day), is you never know exactly when you will be permitted off the ship. Often can go ashore very soon after arrival since you are an "in transit" passenger but govt rules vary from port to port. Seems safest approach is to do a ship excursion that (theoretically) ends at airport but is available to B2B pax as well.

Almost certain to stay a day or two at the end to see some more of SJ (never been before). Air fares are slightly better on Mon/Tue anyway.

Was on a Chumley Bear Cruise in 2012 with lots of bears (IIRC, 700+). Princess gave us the aft pool+bar area and we had entire 2nd seating of one of the MDR's. Glad they ignored assigned tables and everyone just sat with whomever they wished. Doubt this will be the case with this group as it is much smaller (i.e. ~200? More on 2nd leg?).

Anyone else notice that Celebrity changed our Tortola BVI port to St Thomas? That will make it a duplicate port for those of us on both cruises.

See ya on board!

Since you're going on the B2B, I suggest touring Old San Juan on the day between cruises since that's where the ship is docking. You wont have to be bothered with your luggage. On the last stop to San Juan you can then just take a cab straight to the hotel on the last day without worrying about not seeing old San Juan.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone -

I booked this cruise for myself, but just saw this thread. I guess I will have plenty of company! LOL Any idea how big the group is? I'm traveling solo, so if anyone knows of a cabin mate... Of course, I'm not booked with the group.

Edited by camusboy1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
We are booked, but only for the first part. Both of my parent's birthdays are during the second week and they are in their 90s, so we want to be around to celebrate with them. We just never know...

Unfortunately, we have had to cancel. My dad's health steadily declined after a hospital stay in January and subsequent care in a skilled nursing unit. He passed last month at 91. We have since shifted our attention over to my mother who, at 93, is going strong but has chronic ailments that require full time attention. Sorry that we're going to miss this cruise, but there are many more in the days ahead.

Peace

• 2 weeks later...

Best friend and I are doing the NY - San Juan first part only.

Looking forward to the break. Just got a free upgrade to an S1 from S2. If you've bought an S2, I think there's one more left!

Howdy, all!

Stu + Jim

PS. We're 'mature' queens of 58 and 61 and of course look 28 and 26!

My partner David and I booked the second part of this cruise. We join in San Juan on Oct 25th. I can't wait to get away and have some fun. This will be our second gay group cruise where it wasn't an all gay cruise. I was wondering if there are any themes for the week.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Does anyone know of the schedule of events for the "bear" activities. I'm wondering if they'll be a 'dress up' night or something. To bring heels or not? LOL

Dan (the organizing TA) has posted his schedule of events on http://www.bearcruise.com - see the left-most column for the 2 links. There is no mention of specific formal nights beyond the 1 or 2 per cruise that Celebrity normally has. For me, I am on vacation and they are lucky I am wearing shoes much less a coat & tie!:D

On the 2nd cruise, there is a Halloween-themed event but the 1st cruise has a T-Dance on 10/20 with a "Turn Back Time" theme (70's-80's-90's). Do you have space in your luggage to pack your powder blue leisure suit? :eek:

See Ya on Board!

Neither my bff or I drink. I'm happy to give away any bottle that may be in our room upon arrival. I'm thinking anyone with a birthday close is worthy!

Let me know.

Kasius (Stu)

Just got off the phone with Celebrity and learned they have stopped giving Birthday Boys (and Girls) the $50 OBC they once did since the promo had so many restrictions it pissed off more passengers than it pleased. Since my birthday is coming up (sooner than I care to think about) and as I am on both cruises (solo on 1st and with a friend of 2nd), I was hoping for a double gift (yea, right, like that was gonna happen :rolleyes:) My friend's birthday is a few days later than mine so would have been great if we both could have scored the extra funds to spend on board.

So, if you find yourself with leftover vino, let me know and I can "dispose" of it for you! I am in #8179.

See you just 1 week from tomorrow!

Bob

Long Beach CA

Just got off the phone with Celebrity and learned they have stopped giving Birthday Boys (and Girls) the $50 OBC they once did since the promo had so many restrictions it pissed off more passengers than it pleased. Since my birthday is coming up (sooner than I care to think about) and as I am on both cruises (solo on 1st and with a friend of 2nd), I was hoping for a double gift (yea, right, like that was gonna happen :rolleyes:) My friend's birthday is a few days later than mine so would have been great if we both could have scored the extra funds to spend on board.

So, if you find yourself with leftover vino, let me know and I can "dispose" of it for you! I am in #8179.

Bob

Long Beach CA

When's your actual birthday?

I asked when I booked. We are booked on both cruises. I don't know how large the group will be.

I'm booked on both cruises too. There will be 28 singles in our group on the first cruise, and 250+ on the second cruise, which is a singles-sponsored cruise.

Bob

Long Beach CA

Bob - look for 28 people wearing beads around the pool deck when you board. This is a singles group and you are welcome to join us. See you onboard next Sunday!

Amy

Sunnyvale, CA

12/3 and 12/19 for my friend Richard. The Celebrity promo covered 60 days before & after your cruise.

Enjoy your Sky Suite!

We are going to try and get on early. Our plans are 'spa sign-up', walk around and lunch.

Feel free to knock on the door, 6125.

Stu and Jim

PS. We'll put it in the fridge to keep it cool. (I think there's a fridge).