Travel Docs on RCI

I'm from Washington State and have an Enhanced Driver's License with the RDIF chip in it.

We got these prior to our last cruise in 2012 on Carnival to the Caribbean out of Tampa (closed loop back to Tampa). No problems using the EDL.

However, we are booked on RCI this time out of Ft. Lauderdale for another Caribbean cruise (closed loop) & I got their travel docs info and nowhere can I find that EDL are acceptable. It says it accepts the WHTI documents and to "Click here" to see what those are - and when I click on that link - the EDL is not included.

If it's a closed loop from Florida - all cruiselines/ports should accept the EDL, correct?

You would need the DL and certified birth certificate for a closed loop cruise.

But I don't understand why I would need that when I've gone through proving my citizenship when I obtained the Enhanced Driver's License. Isn't that the point of the EDL? So I don't have to carry around a birth certificate anymore?

I had to show my birth certificate & marriage certificate & go through a whole application process to get the EDL. I think RCI and Port Everglade should accept it - but not sure why it's not mentioned on their website. :(

Edited by DrPepper41

But I don't understand why I would need that when I've gone through proving my citizenship when I obtained the Enhanced Driver's License. Isn't that the point of the EDL? So I don't have to carry around a birth certificate anymore?

I had to show my birth certificate & marriage certificate & go through a whole application process to get the EDL. I think RCI and Port Everglade should accept it - but not sure why it's not mentioned on their website. :(

It's not Royal or the port that decide what travel docs are necessary, it's the US Government:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1139

Edited by clarea

I just looked at my on-line check in docs & EDL is a choice for proof of citizenship. Not sure why it's not listed on the website.

I wouldn't see why you couldn't tune it especially since you can cross borders with it!

--

Editing to add we're leaving from Baltimore, not sure if that would make a difference. We used one leaving out of NY too. (That might have been Princess though not RC, not positive)

Edited by hansolosmom

I think with the WHTI - an EDL should be enough since it's a closed loop. But I'll call RCI to make sure. Thanks.

After looking around the web a bit, I think you are correct, the EDL can be used for cruising. Could be that Royal's website is not up to date, because people reported being able to use it on the Carnival board.

After looking around the web a bit, I think you are correct, the EDL can be used for cruising. Could be that Royal's website is not up to date, because people reported being able to use it on the Carnival board.

I used it on Carnival with no problems 2 years ago - and it was listed on Carnival as an acceptable document for closed loops. But it's not on RCI's website. With only 4 U.S. States issuing them, I can maybe see why they don't put much (or any) emphasis on this being an option for land & sea crossings.

Go to RCCL site : click on before you broad

click on travel documentation

under need help ? click on search this site

Ask a question: put in( driver license)

click on CLICK HERE

Hope this helps ;)

Edited by pipeye1

Go to RCCL site : click on before you broad

click on travel documentation

under need help ? click on search this site

Ask a question: put in( driver license)

click on CLICK HERE

Hope this helps ;)

YES!!! Thank you. :) Finally something on the RCI site that shows the EDL as an option.