Plantation Area & Hyatt Place

Butterflywings

We are booked at the Hyatt Place Plantation on Broward Ave. Our flight arrives into FLL at noon the day before our cruise.

I know there is a mall & a few restaurants nearby....but anything else? Is it a safe place to wander? Is it worth sticking around for the afternoon? Or should we cab to another area for sightseeing? It is just my husband and I traveling.

Any advice on the Plantation area or the hotel itself would be greatly appreciated!

We are booked at the Hyatt Place Plantation on Broward Ave. Our flight arrives into FLL at noon the day before our cruise.

I know there is a mall & a few restaurants nearby....but anything else? Is it a safe place to wander? Is it worth sticking around for the afternoon? Or should we cab to another area for sightseeing? It is just my husband and I traveling.

Any advice on the Plantation area or the hotel itself would be greatly appreciated!

While I cannot comment on the hotel, the area is fine, and yes there is a mall and a number of restaurants nearby, but that is it ... there really isn't anything else to see or do around there as Plantation is more of a residential / business area.

Las Olas/Downtown/Beach areas of Fort Lauderdale are much more interesting. I suggest taking a cab to Las Olas Blvd and spend some time around there. You can also hop on the Sun Trolley from Las Olas and take the trolley around to other areas around downtown or the beach for sightseeing, and/or catch the water taxi for a nice cruise on the New River and Intracoastal.

Here is info on both the Sun Trolley and Water Taxi:

http://www.watertaxi.com/

http://www.suntrolley.com/

Edited by brunello22

If you enjoy shopping, look into going to the Sawgrass Mills Outlet Mall. It's gigantic and literally too big to go through completely in one day. It's just the next town over, like 10 minutes away.

Angie :)

While I cannot comment on the hotel, the area is fine, and yes there is a mall and a number of restaurants nearby, but that is it ... there really isn't anything else to see or do around there as Plantation is more of a residential / business area.

Las Olas/Downtown/Beach areas of Fort Lauderdale are much more interesting. I suggest taking a cab to Las Olas Blvd and spend some time around there. You can also hop on the Sun Trolley from Las Olas and take the trolley around to other areas around downtown or the beach for sightseeing, and/or catch the water taxi for a nice cruise on the New River and Intracoastal.

Here is info on both the Sun Trolley and Water Taxi:

http://www.watertaxi.com/

http://www.suntrolley.com/

Thanks! Las Olas Blvd sounds like a great area. And I appreciate the links.

If you enjoy shopping, look into going to the Sawgrass Mills Outlet Mall. It's gigantic and literally too big to go through completely in one day. It's just the next town over, like 10 minutes away.

Angie :)

I do love shopping! However, since this is a rare visit to FL, we are hoping to spend most of our time sight seeing outside. If only we had more time! :)

We stayed at that exact hotel the last two cruises out of Florida. We liked the hotel and the neighborhood was just fine as well.

The hotel is right next door to a shopping center, including a Target, B&N booksellers, Publix, etc. I'm actually going to miss it this year, since we are staying at the other one this year.

Based on what you'll spend on a cab, you might look for a rental car instead. There is free parking at the hotel, and that will give you the freedom to go where you want.

I stayed at this hotel last summer (non-cruise stay) for a few days while in FLL, and as the others have mentioned there are restaurants and a mall within a reasonable distance but this is a very residential area. You will have to drive in order to get to other things. However, the hotel is both clean and comfortable.

I presume you're booking their pre/post cruise package.

There are plenty of restaurants and shops within easy walking distance from the hotel and transportation to Sawgrass Mills is included in the package. If you want to do anything else, though, I second the suggestion of a rental car. Cab fare from there to Las Olas would be at least $40 each way plus tip.

OP- thank you for asking this question.We are also, currently, booked at a hotel (not Hyatt) in Plantation for our pre-cruise stay and I go back and forth every day weather we should change to something downtown Ft Lauderdale or just stick with what we have.

To those who have suggested a car rental- do any car rental companies have locations in Plantation?

Edited by cruise cruise cruise

OP- thank you for asking this question.We are also, currently, booked at a hotel (not Hyatt) in Plantation for our pre-cruise stay and I go back and forth every day weather we should change to something downtown Ft Lauderdale or just stick with what we have.

To those who have suggested a car rental- do any car rental companies have locations in Plantation?

Avis has a location next to Sears in the Broward Mall (8000 Broward Blvd) which is almost next door to the Hyatt.

Which hotel are you staying at?

Hampton Inn

Thanks

The Hampton Inn is located on the opposite side (south side) of the two malls (The Fountains and Broward Westfield Malls) from the Avis location (north side), but it's still a pleasant walk. I'm guessing the hotel shuttle would run you over there as well.

Edited by walty